Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - Creating a release: (2 Items)

Creating a release  
We are migrating our development from self-hosted to Windows, since this is where QSS seems to wants us to go, 
intentionnaly or not.  A move I would have like to avoid, but progress gives us little chose.

One of big hurdle I'm facing is the creating of release package.  Our procedure is made up of two phases. The first is 
the setup of a functional hard disk. The second is the creation of packages needed to install our application,

Creating the hard disk seems like a no go from Windows since we cannot access a QNX filesystem from Windows.  That's not
 a big issue since we can have a QNX6 machine dedicated to this process.

The second is the one I can't find a solution for.  Under QNX6 the packaging of our product consists in something as 
simple as pax -w installdir | gzip -9 >releasefile.tgz.  Nothing fancy but it does the job.  Unfortunately we can't do 
that under Windows because we loose the +x flag.  I came up with ways to set the flag but i'm not happy with that.

Unless I missed it totaly, I feel there is something missing in the Windows tools for people not using flash device.

I though about using mkefs to build a flash file system, and use the resulting image as the placeholder of our 
applications.  I didn't find a way to mount a efs file, so that's out.  Other solution I could have done under QNX6 is 
create a file with dd then dinit it, mount it and copy the files in and distribute the resulting image file.  Again 
under Windows that's not possible.  Seems to me something like mk4fs or mk6fs is missing.

Re: Creating a release  
Am I so off track as to not even be worth a comment?

> We are migrating our development from self-hosted to Windows, since this is 
> where QSS seems to wants us to go, intentionnaly or not.  A move I would have 
> like to avoid, but progress gives us little chose.
> 
> One of big hurdle I'm facing is the creating of release package.  Our 
> procedure is made up of two phases. The first is the setup of a functional 
> hard disk. The second is the creation of packages needed to install our 
> application,
> 
> Creating the hard disk seems like a no go from Windows since we cannot access 
> a QNX filesystem from Windows.  That's not a big issue since we can have a 
> QNX6 machine dedicated to this process.
> 
> The second is the one I can't find a solution for.  Under QNX6 the packaging 
> of our product consists in something as simple as pax -w installdir | gzip -9 
> >releasefile.tgz.  Nothing fancy but it does the job.  Unfortunately we can't 
> do that under Windows because we loose the +x flag.  I came up with ways to 
> set the flag but i'm not happy with that.
> 
> Unless I missed it totaly, I feel there is something missing in the Windows 
> tools for people not using flash device.
> 
> I though about using mkefs to build a flash file system, and use the resulting
>  image as the placeholder of our applications.  I didn't find a way to mount a
>  efs file, so that's out.  Other solution I could have done under QNX6 is 
> create a file with dd then dinit it, mount it and copy the files in and 
> distribute the resulting image file.  Again under Windows that's not possible.
>   Seems to me something like mk4fs or mk6fs is missing.
>