Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - gdb 6.7 u9 gets confused when one of two methods of the same name but in different classes is stepped into (or over): (4 Items)

gdb 6.7 u9 gets confused when one of two methods of the same name but in different classes is stepped into (or over)  
whew...that was a very long title...

Yes, this seems to be the case.  I had two methods, the same name, residing in different classes.  When I went to step 
into one of them GDB locked up and I had to kill my application.  I was befuddled, greatly befuddled.  

I thought maybe the stack size was too small and a stack overflow was occurring or somethings strange like that.  But 
then it occurred to me that there was another method with the same name kicking around in another class.

So, having run out of sensible things to try, I renamed it.  Low and behold, I was a stepping like mad man once again. 

No response necessary to this, I just wanted to contribute something such that I may be able to help the poor 
unfortunate soul, up in the early hours of the morning, missing his pillow, trying to figure out why he can't do 
something as simple and elementary as stepping into or over a perfectly normal function, wondering in quite desperation 
if something nasty in his code was contributing to the anomaly.

Happy QNXing,
Kevin
Re: gdb 6.7 u9 gets confused when one of two methods of the same name but in different classes is stepped into (or over)  
--- This is not a reply ----

Could you give me a simplified test case where you can reproduce it? (a small project demonstrating the issue)

Thanks!
Re: gdb 6.7 u9 gets confused when one of two methods of the same name but in different classes is stepped into (or over)  
---- Neither is this, I mean, a perfectly rational human being would have to conclude that we weren't really talking or 
participating in the exchange of any kind of information, especially in light of these disclaimers --- 

Well...I tried.  I built a project with a couple of classes with method names duplicated, but it worked like it didn't 
last night.

I'll have to play with it some more and see if I can get the confounded thing to stop cooperating.

Thanks for asking,
Kevin

> --- This is not a reply ----
> 
> Could you give me a simplified test case where you can reproduce it? (a small 
> project demonstrating the issue)
> 
> Thanks!

--- I would never respond to a message if a customer thinks the response is not neccessary.... at least not without a 
disclaimer ;-) ---

I tried to reproduce in several scenarios I could think of but I couldn't. If you give me a few more details, I will try
 again with something that is closer to your case:

Are the classes containing the methods in question non-virtual (non-polymophic) classes? 
If not, are the methods in question virtual or not?
Are the classes in namespaces? If yes, different or the same?
Are classes declared in the same header file or different headers? 
Are the definitions of the methods in the same compilation unit?