Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes: (6 Items)

Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
All our machines have this problem, though some are different models.  Mine is Windows 7, 32gb, 8-core.

We start a make build of a project with dozens of folders and thousands of files.  Sometimes it is lightning fast.  
Other times it is very slow, like 2-3s per processed line.

Turning on -d shows the bottleneck seems to be right after the CreateProcess(blah blah)/Live Child lines.

Then 2-3s pause

Then it does what the process should do (that line in a makefile)

Then Reaping winning child...
instant repeat.

This happens even on echo hello world type lines that do not even reference a variable (so there could be no 
permutational explosion of references as variables are resolvled.)

That makes no sense anyway because it sometimes is lightning fast and nothing else has changed.

The CPU is not busy at all during this (no process is above 1%, and none of the make/compiler things are even that.  A 
locked octo'th processor would be a process at 13%-ish.)

I've killed and restarted the command window, no change.  Sometimes it just "goes away" and it's fast again.

Any ideas?

RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
If you are under a Windows Domain,  the shell (from MSYS I believe) will, every time it starts, contact the logon server
, not nice.  It can get messy, if you logon the domain then disconnect from the network.

We have moved all our development under Linux which we run in a virtual machine under Windows ( we aren`t ready yet to 
use Linux natively on our development PC).  Our build time has gone down by an average of 25%, yep 25% faster on the 
same machine but in a virtual machine.  Only down side we have found so far is the Index seems to be slower, don`t know 
why.  There some issue with VMWare loosing cut and paste functionality between the guess and host, but overall the 
experience has been more then positive.

We can deploy a setup in minutes, move it from PC to PC very simply if the hardware is being upgrade.  I`m currently on 
the road and have move my VM from by main desktop machine to a laptop, make my live much simpler.  We can deploy 
upgrades by telling everyone to get a new image. 

Everyone should use Momentic under Linux in my opinion. Virtual machine or not.  Even better yet, get Luna, and install 
the QNX stuff from a REPOS file.  The CDT is much better.  People at the office enjoy the dark theme very much ;-)  

With QNX dropping features and product lines left and right, Momentics for Windows is one I wouldn`t mind they dropped ;
-)

Back to work now.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Kevin Schaffer [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Thursday, October 09, 2014 5:25 PM
À : general-toolchain
Objet : Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes

All our machines have this problem, though some are different models.  Mine is Windows 7, 32gb, 8-core.

We start a make build of a project with dozens of folders and thousands of files.  Sometimes it is lightning fast.  
Other times it is very slow, like 2-3s per processed line.

Turning on -d shows the bottleneck seems to be right after the CreateProcess(blah blah)/Live Child lines.

Then 2-3s pause

Then it does what the process should do (that line in a makefile)

Then Reaping winning child...
instant repeat.

This happens even on echo hello world type lines that do not even reference a variable (so there could be no 
permutational explosion of references as variables are resolvled.)

That makes no sense anyway because it sometimes is lightning fast and nothing else has changed.

The CPU is not busy at all during this (no process is above 1%, and none of the make/compiler things are even that.  A 
locked octo'th processor would be a process at 13%-ish.)

I've killed and restarted the command window, no change.  Sometimes it just "goes away" and it's fast again.

Any ideas?

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post112014
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
Oh.  My.  God.  I think you're right.

Looking at network activity with the process monitor, it does indeed seem to be doing something on the network.  Our 
network is wireless and could be clogged at certain times of the day.  It's morning and speedy now.

Next time massive slowdown occurs, I will check it again.
RE: RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
You can try setting the LOGONSERVER variables to that of your PC within the éclos env. Have had some level of success 
with this. 
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 10:16 AM
To: general-toolchain
Subject: Re: RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes

Oh.  My.  God.  I think you're right.

Looking at network activity with the process monitor, it does indeed seem to be doing something on the network.  Our 
network is wireless and could be clogged at certain times of the day.  It's morning and speedy now.

Next time massive slowdown occurs, I will check it again.

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post112022
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
Still here, it just hasn't manifested as a problem the past few days, so can't test it.
Re: RE: RE: Make builds excruciatingly slow -- sometimes  
Ok, saw the problem.  Repeated it to make sure it continued happening, then set LOGONSERVER=, and it is now blazing fast
 again!

Good one, checking a logon server when spawning a process.