Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - Timer quantization and cpu throttling: (4 Items)

Timer quantization and cpu throttling  
Greetings fellows,

I have two rather nasty problems, both sort of connected to each other. 

1) The first deals with the famous timer quantization problems. Following the QNX timer documentation, the smallest 
quantization seems to be about 0.999847 or so milliseconds. For periododic timers/ triggers on integer millisecond base 
this does not pose such a big problems, losing jsut about every 6300th timer or so. However, I need a way more accurate 
timer to down to microseconds or, in other words, a trigger for instance every 7.333 milliseconds. I take it this will 
not be working and implies (as our tests show) a catastrophic jitter? Please tell me I am mistaken :-)

2) Again for reasons of accuracy: Any way of knowing whether QNX disables CPU throttling or if not (what I do not expect
 for a real time OS) how to disable it?

Thanks a lot for help,
Andy
Re: Timer quantization and cpu throttling  
I think toolchain forum is not the best place to ask this question. Try 
OS forum

On 12-12-07 02:57 AM, Andreas Beschorner wrote:
> Greetings fellows,
>
> I have two rather nasty problems, both sort of connected to each other.
>
> 1) The first deals with the famous timer quantization problems. Following the QNX timer documentation, the smallest 
quantization seems to be about 0.999847 or so milliseconds. For periododic timers/ triggers on integer millisecond base 
this does not pose such a big problems, losing jsut about every 6300th timer or so. However, I need a way more accurate 
timer to down to microseconds or, in other words, a trigger for instance every 7.333 milliseconds. I take it this will 
not be working and implies (as our tests show) a catastrophic jitter? Please tell me I am mistaken :-)
>
> 2) Again for reasons of accuracy: Any way of knowing whether QNX disables CPU throttling or if not (what I do not 
expect for a real time OS) how to disable it?
>
> Thanks a lot for help,
> Andy
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97894
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Andreas,

1)  QNX 6 doesn't have high resolution timers. AFAIK ... it's using the 
IRQ 9 for its system tick.
2)  simply no

Regards

--Armin

Andreas Beschorner wrote:
> Greetings fellows,
>
> I have two rather nasty problems, both sort of connected to each other.
>
> 1) The first deals with the famous timer quantization problems. Following the QNX timer documentation, the smallest 
>
> 2) Again for reasons of accuracy: Any way of knowing whether QNX disables CPU throttling or if not (what I do not 
expect for a real time OS) how to disable it?
>
> Thanks a lot for help,
> Andy
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post97894
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
>

Thanks for the replies, however disappointing the facts are..

Problem resolved.