Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - PPS not persisting : (7 Items)

PPS not persisting  
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but whenever I boot up the QNX machine all my PPS files disappear!  Here is 
the code I use to enable pps:

echo -n 'Starting Persistent Publish/Subscribe Service ....'; pps -l 0 

that is located in etc/rc.d/rc.local 

anything I'm missing to keep the files to persist?  Thanks
RE: PPS not persisting  
How are you shutting down pps?  When run in the manner you note, it will only actually persist objects on controlled 
exit.  (In this context, SIGTERM, SIGINT, and SIGQUIT may be considered controlled exits.)

Sent: June-26-12 2:53 PM
To: general-toolchain
Subject: PPS not persisting

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but whenever I boot up the QNX machine all my PPS files disappear!  Here is 
the code I use to enable pps:

echo -n 'Starting Persistent Publish/Subscribe Service ....'; pps -l 0

that is located in etc/rc.d/rc.local

anything I'm missing to keep the files to persist?  Thanks

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post93875
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: PPS not persisting  
I don't think I have any additional scripts for closing, on another machine we're running PPS always just saved the file
 never had this problem before.  Could you show me an example of what the exit script should look like? Thanks
RE: RE: PPS not persisting  
Normally, just calling "shutdown" is good enough, unless the persist takes sufficiently long that shutdown sends a 
SIGKILL.  If you want to play it really safe, slay pps and wait for it to exit before proceeding to shutdown.  If you 
terminate by e.g. removing power or hitting a reset line, nothing will be persisted; you can set a persistence interval 
by running with the appropriate command line option ("-t" IIRC) which will cause PPS to save periodically -- but note 
that the underlying filesystem also needs to be flushed to physical storage periodically too, for this to be effective.

(One other way for persistence to be skipped is if the objects are ?nopersist, but since you say the same code works on 
another machine, I assume that this is not the case here.)

Incidentally, what version of pps are using?  The one distributed with the 6.5.0 SDK?
Sent: June-27-12 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: RE: PPS not persisting

I don't think I have any additional scripts for closing, on another machine we're running PPS always just saved the file
 never had this problem before.  Could you show me an example of what the exit script should look like? Thanks

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post93906
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-toolchain-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: RE: PPS not persisting  
I'm not sure what version of PPS I have but it may be the one with 6.4, is there any command to check?

Also thanks for the tip about the shutdown processes and I'll configure it to save periodically, huge help!
RE: RE: RE: PPS not persisting  
There's no command line option, but you can do something like

strings -a pps | grep DATE=

to see the build date.  (There's probably a more elegant way to check, but I can't think of it right now.) 

If you haven't compiled it yourself from source or received a patched version from our support organization, it will be 
the same version number as your SDK.  For my purposes, it is sufficient to know that it is 6.5.0 or earlier, rather than
 a later version (e.g. the one supplied with the BB10 NDK).
Sent: June-28-12 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: PPS not persisting

I'm not sure what version of PPS I have but it may be the one with 6.4, is there any command to check?

Also thanks for the tip about the shutdown processes and I'll configure it to save periodically, huge help!

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post93931
Re: PPS not persisting  
On 12-06-28 01:42 PM, Neil Schellenberger wrote:
> There's no command line option, but you can do something like
>
>    strings -a pps | grep DATE=
>
> to see the build date.  (There's probably a more elegant way to check, but I can't think of it right now.)

"use -i pps"

Regards,

Ryan Mansfield