Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Problem with serial debug on ARM: (4 Items)

Problem with serial debug on ARM  
Hi,

I am trying to help a customer set up serial debug on an ARM target using standard 6.5.0 Windows hosted tools + IDE.

We are following the procedure in the docs but seeing the error messages below on both an Atmel and Beagle-xM target.

Following the same procedure on an x86 target works fine.

IDE/pdebug error output:

Remote target is little-endian
.gdbinit: No such file or directory.
No registers.
info tidlist
Undefined info command: "tidlist".  Try "help info".
set remotebaud 57600
set qnxremotecwd
No symbol "qnxremotecwd" in current context.
MsgNak received - resending
Remote exhausted 3 retries.
Remote exhausted 3 retries.
Remote (spawn error): No such file or directory.

If I try using command line ntoarm-gdb I see similar error messages at the 'upload' stage.

This discussion (http://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.ide/discussion.ide.topc2858.) seems to be 
the same issue dating back to 6.3.2, but the discussion does not contain a conclusion or solution.

Could this be a problem with the image on the ARM targets or is there a problem with serial debug on ARM?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Garry
Re: Problem with serial debug on ARM  
Same exact problem here.

I'm using the BeagleBone Black. I interact with the shell via the JTAG pins using an FTDI device @ 115200 baud.

After launching the pdebug process (at 57600 baud, per program usage):

# pdebug /dev/ser1,57600

the terminal becomes unusable, so I disconnect and try to upload an executable for debugging. My output is identical to 
yours, however.

Maybe there's a conflict with the /dev/ser1 resource... I'm not sure.

Can anybody more experienced with pdebug/beagleboards chime in?
Associations:
post103903:
              Re: Momentics Serial Debug (PDebug) via COM Port Failing: No such file or directory -  - Jim Carroll(deleted)

If I remember correctly, we tracked the problem down to being a conflict when using the same serial port for the console
 output and serial debugging.

Separating them into their own serial ports solved the problem.

- Garry
Thanks, Garry.

OK. There's only one serial device listed in /dev, so I'm guessing that either I need to write a script that kills the 
console process, freeing /dev/ser1, and starts a pdebug session, or I figure out a way to open a pdebug session over USB
. Right now, even though the board is connect to the host via USB (for power), it's not showing up as a COM device, so 
I'm guessing I need to write a driver for the BeagleBone Black.

Could anybody provide some insight on how I might sort this out? Should I post this in another thread? I'll look into 
writing a script/program for killing the console, then starting pdebug, but if somebody could provide information on 
what needs to be done to set up the USB port so it acts as a COM device (i.e., write a new driver for the Beagle), I 
would be very grateful.

Cheers,
Jim