Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - 'Run C/C++ QConn' problem in IDE 4.0.1 w/ GCC 4.2.1: (3 Items)

'Run C/C++ QConn' problem in IDE 4.0.1 w/ GCC 4.2.1  
This may just be user error, but I'd like to ask.

- Started with a new 6.3.2 environment with IDE 4.0.1 installed on Windows XP.
- Next copied in the contents of 'win32-gcc-4.2.1.zip', 'win32-binutils-2.17.zip', and finally 'win32-gdb-6.7-u1.zip.
- Installed a BSP for the SH4 target (Lanbic 1.1.0).

The I build and upload a new image (from the IDE) to the target that currently includes the following shared libraries:
'libc.so.2', 'libcpp.so.3', and 'libcpp.so.4'

Now I create 3 QNX C++ projects named:
'test1_gcc2', 'test1_gcc3', and 'test1_gcc4'
I just keep the basic 'hello world' application that is generated.
I configure the compiler option in Project properties for each one of these project to set the 'Compiler type' to:
'GNU Compiler Collection' (2.95.3), (3.3.5), and (4.2.1) respectively.

I do the same for 3 QNX C projects named:
'test1_gcc2', 'test1_gcc3', and 'test1_gcc4'

I have no problem running the gcc2 and gcc3 projects from the Run->C/C++ QNX QConn option in the IDE, however I get the 
following error when doing the same for the gcc4 projects:
Dowloading and starting the application ...
"Transfer of 'C:\DOCUME~1\EFAUSETT\LOCALS~1\Temp\test1_gcc4xx11273.tmp' to '/tmp/test1_gcc4EFausett1197016749359' failed
."
This error pops-up in a dialog window with no additional information.

I'm attaching a screenshot.

For reference, the project directory was:
C:\QNX632\sh4_gdb_test_workspace\test1_gcc4

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm working towards doing some testing of C/C++ debugging using gdb 6.7 with the gcc 4.2

Regards,

Eric
Attachment: Image IDE_Run_Problem.png 41.85 KB
Re: 'Run C/C++ QConn' problem in IDE 4.0.1 w/ GCC 4.2.1  
> This may just be user error, but I'd like to ask.
> 
> - Started with a new 6.3.2 environment with IDE 4.0.1 installed on Windows XP.

There are two reasons why this doesn't work.

First, IDE 4.0.1 and older releases of the IDE call ntox86-strip (which is actually ntomulti-strip) and not nto<arch>-
strip before uploading the file (PR# 43263). This previously worked because in the 2.12 binutils, the smaller binutils 
(readelf, strip, objcopy, etc) were all multi-arched. But multi-arching caused several problems and in binutils 2.17 
there is a full set of binutils for each individual architecture.

The second problem is that ntomulti-strip command is failing because the 2.17 binutils (as and ld) used by the gcc 4.2.1
 toolchain are marking the binary with flags in the ELF header that the 2.12 binutils are unable to recognize. This is 
only a problem with SH.

So do be able to debug, you can either disable stripping before uploading in the launch config, or you can upgrade to 
the Tau release of the IDE (which fixes PR 43263), and copy $QNX_HOST/usr/bin/ntosh-strip-2.17 over top of $QNX_HOST/usr
/bin/ntosh-strip.

Regards,

Ryan Mansfield

Re: 'Run C/C++ QConn' problem in IDE 4.0.1 w/ GCC 4.2.1  
Thanks Ryan.