Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX, QT5 and PPC: (8 Items)

QNX, QT5 and PPC  
Hi all,

after  QT 5 has been released, I tried to build it for QNX 6.5 SP1.
I ended with the Info, that I need the new QNX "Screen" Subsystem, used on Blackberry 10.

Well, my QSSL representation told me following:
- I have to wait for an experimental prerelease of "Screen".
- "Screen" will not be released for PPC !?!?

Can somebody coment this?
Do I only get target support for CPU's, running on Blackberry devices/emulators in the future?

Kind Regards
Michael
Re: QNX, QT5 and PPC  
Michael Tasche wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after  QT 5 has been released, I tried to build it for QNX 6.5 SP1.
> I ended with the Info, that I need the new QNX "Screen" Subsystem, used on Blackberry 10.
>
> Well, my QSSL representation told me following:
> - I have to wait for an experimental prerelease of "Screen".
> - "Screen" will not be released for PPC !?!?
>
> Can somebody coment this?
> Do I only get target support for CPU's, running on Blackberry devices/emulators in the future?

Something heart about support of x86 systems ?

--Armin

>
> Kind Regards
> Michael
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Qt General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98510
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qt-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
>

The UI Early Access Program (UI EAP) will provide access to the experimental versions of the QNX's new composition 
manager, GPU technology and WFD drivers. Access to this will be limited at first until we are ready to expand 
availability to a broader target audience (hardware platforms, etc).

We have made a significant investment in graphics technology so that we can take advantage of some of the GPU 
acceleration and allow seamless integrated support for multiple UI/graphics technologies (Qt, OpenGL ES, StoryBoard, 
Elektrobit).

The UI EAP will available in Q1 this year (within the next 2 months). 

if you need to use Qt "now" (in advance of the UI EAP technology availability), then you should use Qt 4.7x or Qt 4.8x 
which is supported buy the QNX GF framework. 

KDAB have been our primary partner when it comes to Qt so if you need any specific help with Qt, contact KDAB (www.kdab.
com; till@kdab.com).

I just noticed your reference to PPC in your title. If by this you mean "PowerPC", note that QNX is not investing in Qt 
or any graphics support for PowerPC platforms from a roadmap perspective. 
Grant Courville wrote:
> I just noticed your reference to PPC in your title. If by this you mean "PowerPC", note that QNX is not investing in 
Qt or any graphics support for PowerPC platforms from a roadmap perspective.

Are the x86 systems also dead ends ??

--Armin

>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Qt General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98520
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qt-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
>

X86 support is firmly part of our roadmap and have been working on accelerated Intel GPU support ... you will this as 
well in the coming months. 

The bottom line is that when it comes to Qt support on a realtime OS platform, QNX is absolutely your best option. We 
have a Qt4.x port, Qt5 port, QtCreator 2.6 port and continue to invest heavily in integrating and optimizing Qt 
technology for QNX. The only thing we are dealing with at the moment is coordinating availability of the latest Qt 
releases with the latest technology from QNX. 
Grant Courville wrote:
> X86 support is firmly part of our roadmap and have been working on accelerated Intel GPU support ... you will this as 
well in the coming months.
>
> The bottom line is that when it comes to Qt support on a realtime OS platform, QNX is absolutely your best option. We 
have a Qt4.x port, Qt5 port, QtCreator 2.6 port

That means QSS is going to support, offering and selling Qt xx for x86 
systems ?

>   and continue to invest heavily in integrating and optimizing Qt technology for QNX. The only thing we are dealing 
with at the moment is coordinating availability of the latest Qt releases with the latest technology from QNX.

Are there any roadmaps for polishing up  the "latest technology" for the 
support of PCIe, APIC and MSI for x86 systems??

--Armin

> Grant Courville wrote:
> > X86 support is firmly part of our roadmap and have been working on 
> accelerated Intel GPU support ... you will this as well in the coming months.
> >
> > The bottom line is that when it comes to Qt support on a realtime OS 
> platform, QNX is absolutely your best option. We have a Qt4.x port, Qt5 port, 
> QtCreator 2.6 port
> 
> That means QSS is going to support, offering and selling Qt xx for x86 
> systems ?

Commercial licensing for Qt is owned exclusively by Digia.
You can also obtain Qt under the LGPL license.
QNX has been working closely with KDAB and Digia and others to ensure that Qt for QNX is ported and available for our 
customer base. 

In terms of "selling" Qt, if you want to purchase Qt commercial licenses, you need to contact Digia. 
technical support for Qt is provided by KDAB, Digia (for commercial licensees) and of course teh Qt community at large. 
At this time, we (QNX Software Systems) do not offer direct fee-based support for Qt as we have deemed it better for 
this to come from expert Qt companies such as KDAB, Digia and others.

> >   and continue to invest heavily in integrating and optimizing Qt technology
>  for QNX. The only thing we are dealing with at the moment is coordinating 
> availability of the latest Qt releases with the latest technology from QNX.
> 
> Are there any roadmaps for polishing up  the "latest technology" for the 
> support of PCIe, APIC and MSI for x86 systems??

Yes. We are working on locking down the feature set for our next major OS release and will communicate this once we have
 gone through proper due diligence and processes.

Hope this helps.

> 
> --Armin
>