Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Getting some assistance: (5 Items)

Getting some assistance  
Hi,

This forum seems pretty dead, so I asked Tech Support for some help to get a Qt run-time system together. I was told 
that the only place I can get help is here.

So, is anyone from QSSL monitoring this forum? If so, please make yourself known and I will (re)post my questions.

Jim Douglas
Re: Getting some assistance  
What's the question...
We are currently trying to evaluate Qt4 for future use. We have downloaded and used the packages from Foundry 27 with 
some success. We have some questions, but the documentation is sparse and the forum seems to be inactive.

We have tried the medical demo in a VM and downloaded the available source code. We have copied the libraries and 
headers into a Win7 development environment and have successfully built the supplied source code. We have even written 
and compiled a trivial app from a Qt tutorial.

The problem is that we cannot get the sample app to run. My specific questions are:

1. Can we have a complete list of libraries, binaries, scripts etc that have to be added to a standard OS install in 
order to provide a Qt4 runtime environment.

2. What services have to be running in order to accommodate a Qt4 executable? What I have been doing is to boot to a 
command line screen i.e. everything except Photon. Is this correct?

3. I understand that not all graphics drivers will support Qt4. We are using the i830 driver. Will the 6.5.0 issued 
driver work with Qt or do we need to use a later development version?

4. What environment variables are required for Qt applications?

5. Are you able to provide a trivial, stand alone Qt4 app that can be used to verify the run-time setup. (The medical 
demo is too complex).

Thanks.
Jim-

Have you checked the documentation on post20245 ?   The QtEasy.pdf  has a lot of details.  But it assumes you install 
the Qt development package on the target.  Is that the issue - just looking to install on a target without a complete 
development install?

(I am assuming X86 target - you didn't specify.)

>>>1. Can we have a complete list of libraries, binaries, scripts etc that have to be added to a standard OS install in 
order to provide a Qt4 runtime environment.

The attachment contains a Qt application "cEasy".  This is the list of libraries that cEasy requires to start.

Standard 6.5 install
           libc.so.3
           libstdc++.so.6
           libm.so.2
           libsocket.so.3
           libgf.so.1
           libz.so.2

Qt install into /usr/lib
           libQtGui.so.4
           libQtCore.so.4
           QtDeclarative.so.4
           libQtNetwork.so.4
           libQtScript.so.4
           libQtSvg.so.4
           libQtSql.so.4
           libQtXmlPatterns.so.4

a) I took a system without Qt installed, placed the above libraries in /usr/lib.
b) Set the three environment variables (see 4. below)
c) Untarred attachment  to /qtEasy
d) Telneted in
e) Ran from telnet...
     # /usr/photon/bin/devi-hid -Pr kbd mouse 
f) From telnet direcory /qtEasy... ran
     # ./cEasy -qws

Everything worked as expected - even on SVGA - with only the above steps.

>>>2. What services have to be running in order to accommodate a Qt4 executable? What I have been doing is to boot to a 
command line screen i.e. everything except Photon. Is this correct?

Yes.  From a # prompt, the system should be setup so "ph" correctly starts photon.   BUT you must exit photon to start a
 Qt app.  (Photon is not necessary - only a test)

All you need to run a Qt app is a properly configued "gf" environment (graphics framework).  A CD-install of SDP 6.5 has
 "gf" already setup.   A test of gf (for i830 - not vesa/svga) is that vsync should run and display on screen.  (Also, "
vsync 2" and "vsync 3")   You can even run "vsync 2" while a Qt app is running - vsync will overlay.

>>>3. I understand that not all graphics drivers will support Qt4. We are using the i830 driver. Will the 6.5.0 issued 
driver work with Qt or do we need to use a later development version?
Yes.  I use devg-gma9xx.so "out of the box".  Actually, any "gf" driver should work since Qt only requires one layer - 
even SVGA.  Qt uses only a "framebuffer" approach.

io-display requires libffb.so.2 in addition to driver, libc and libm.

4. What environment variables are required for Qt applications?
export QWS_DISPLAY=qnx
export QWS_KEYBOARD=qnx
export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=qnx

>>>5. Are you able to provide a trivial, stand alone Qt4 app that can be used to verify the run-time setup. (The medical
 demo is too complex).

Agreed.  That is why I created port20245 and post20394.  The attachment to this post contains the runtime components 
from the first project.

Dennis
Attachment: Text qtEasy.tar 310 KB
Fantastic!

That will keep me busy for a while. I will report on progress.

Your posts of 13 June are much appreciated. I only saw them today.

I may come back later with questions on the development setup. For now I am focussing on getting a run-time environment 
correctly configured.

Jim