Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Poco: (4 Items)

Poco  
Hello Rennie,

Have you ever consider building QFC on top of Poco.  Poco is much more well rounded, and it`s portable between various 
platform.  It has support for TCP/IP ( http, ftp, mail), xml, database, path handling, fancy logging  and most POSIX 
primitive.

Of course it would be difficult to make the QNX specific stuff like resmgr and messaging portable, but that`s beside the
 point.

I think a resmgr would be more powerful if it would be build on top of say Poco::Util::Application.

Of course nothing prevents anyone from using QFC and Poco at the same time but there is so much redundencies ;-)

Re: Poco  
Mario,

Rather than use "yet another general purpose class library", I am waiting for the new C++ standard (09) which will 
address all of the things that you have mentioned as overlap.  Until then QFC includes some of the classes that aren't 
standardized, but are necessary for QFC (such as the thread class).

Rennie 
> Mario,
> 
> Rather than use "yet another general purpose class library", I am waiting for 
> the new C++ standard (09) which will address all of the things that you have 
> mentioned as overlap.  Until then QFC includes some of the classes that aren't
>  standardized, but are necessary for QFC (such as the thread class).
> 
> Rennie 

I  didn't know about C++ 09 .   I looked it up and but couldn't find anything related to thinks like FTP, mail, web, 
path, file handling etc.

I tried to play with BOOST but the thinks makes executable size incredibly big, which is why I really like Poco ( and it
 supports QNX6)

> I  didn't know about C++ 09 .   I looked it up and but couldn't find anything 
> related to thinks like FTP, mail, web, path, file handling etc.

It doesn't have anything like that (those are more like applet classes than language bindings to OS constructs).

C++ 09 has all the stuff that QFC might *overlap* with Poco (like thread classes etc.).  

My plan is that the QFC stuff that will be replaced by C++ 09 will disappear in a QFC 2.0 revision when C++ 09 comes out
, but that the interface to QFC specific classes will not change.

> I tried to play with BOOST but the thinks makes executable size incredibly big
> , which is why I really like Poco ( and it supports QNX6)

Boost is a playground, and many of the ideas from that will turn up in C++ 09, but should be much smaller (as embedded 
is a major emphasis of C++ 09).

>