Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Instructions on compiling Git-2.7.0 from source: (3 Items)

Instructions on compiling Git-2.7.0 from source  
Hi all,

All my previous questions have been gearing towards compiling the latest Git. Since I had finally got Git compiled and 
installed from source, I thought I share my steps that may benefit other like-minded individuals. All credits goes to 
Matthew Kraai for advice and guidance.

Caveats
- I wasn't able to be get documents to install due some problem in the xmlto binary... sorry!
- there are no translations, just English due to some error in gettext... sorry!

Required
Perl
Python
OpenSSL
Curl
install-sh

All the required binaries/libraries are installed using pkgsrc found here (with exception of install-sh). Since QNX 
doesn't have an install command, we can use an implementation in shell script which can be found here:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=build-aux/install-sh;h=
0b0fdcbba69ab6dd05ca162a5328828d46ab1d54;hb=HEAD

0. Download "install-sh" and save it as "install" in one of the directories in PATH.

1. Download and extract the latest Git tarball (in my case, git-2.7.0.tar.gz)
2. Do NOT "make configure", or if you do, do NOT run "./configure"
3. Run "make prefix=/usr install NO_GETTEXT=1 PERL_PATH=/usr/pkg/bin/perl PYTHON_PATH=/usr/pkg/bin/python2.4 CURLDIR=/
usr/pkg NO_DEFLATE_BOUND=1"
4. Enjoy

Note: If you don't have OpenSSL, Perl, Python, or Curl, Git can still compile. But you'll need the following options:
"NO_OPENSSL=1"
"NO_PERL=1" instead of "PERL_PATH=..."
"NO_PYTHON=1" instead of "PYTHON_PATH=..."
"NO_CURL=1" instead of "CURLDIR=..."

Please chime in on your experience and share and tips, comments, or corrections. Hopefully this will prevent people from
 reinventing the wheel.
Re: Instructions on compiling Git-2.7.0 from source  
Thanks for the doing the initial heavy lifting. I found that I needed to also add NO_TCLTK=1 as well to get this to 
compile. Another note is that I made a symbolic link to my install-sh named install and then made sure that install was 
in my path. Otherwise, it worked like a charm.

Just a note, my experience so far indicates that the git built with this is not able to communicate with the outside 
world because of the lack of openssl and curl.
Re: Instructions on compiling Git-2.7.0 from source  
If you use "pkgsrc", you can install OpenSSL and curl, as well as tcltk and all other dependencies.