Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - IP Routing Question: (3 Items)

IP Routing Question  
I have a QNX device with 4 Ethernet interfaces and would like to set it up so the interfaces cannot bridge or share 
packets and each is able to have its own "default gateway".

What I am trying to accomplish is that any packet received on an interface is sent back out on that same interface no 
matter the network it came from. In normal circumstances, this works fine "out of the box" when the incoming packet 
arrives on the interface's own subnet. But, suppose the packet arrives via a router and is on a different network. 
Without a default gateway or static route defined, the QNX IP layer will toss the packet.

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem? I feel like I am overlooking something really simple.
Re: IP Routing Question  
This sounds like you want every interface to have a separate routing table.  If so, then I think what you want to do is 
start a separate instance of the stack for each interface.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.0/neutrino/user_guide/tcpip.html#MultipleStacks

Robert.
Re: IP Routing Question  
Yes, I think you are right in that each interface could benefit from its own routing table. I have considered using 
seperate stacks for each interface, but it is clunky to use. Each stack must be "addressed" using the SOCK environment 
variable and this is a bit clunky to use. I was hoping that there was something simpler.

A long time ago I use to write code for routers & FRADs. Part of the job of routing protocols is to do just what I want.
 I was hoping there was some way to configure routed or if someone made/had an IP filter that accessed the routing table
. Then, as packets arrived, I could update the routing table.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing in QNX/BSD?