Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - VLAN and io-pkt Question: (1 Item)

VLAN and io-pkt Question  
Hi, 

A customer is asking whether it is possible to create two vlan pseudo-interfaces that are associated with the same 
physical Ethernet interface and then use those pseudo-interfaces as parameters to the brconfig command? Or is there some
 other means to load balance between two pseudo-interfaces? I attached the network topology and other details 
below.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Karim.

--- START Quoting the customer
Our physical network topology will look something like this 

(see attached .JPEG)

In the diagram above, the two 10/100 links are for cabling redundancy purposes. My initial plan is to configure the 
switch chip with static port based VLAN ids. The VLAN ID assigned to the GE port would be either 1 or 2 depending on 
which 10/100 port I want to use. I plan on developing a health monitoring application that would change which VLAN the 
GE port is assigned to if custom heartbeat messages from other hosts are not received as expected (or if the 10/100 port

link status changes).

What I would really like to be able to do is to load-balance between the two 10/100 ports. I was looking at creating two
  VLAN pseudo-interfaces associated with the physical 1 GE interface. One of the pseudo-interfaces would be assigned to 
VLAN1 and the other VLAN2. (In this case, the GE switch port would be assigned to both VLAN 1 and 2). I am hoping that 
either the QNX network manager or the QNX Fleet product (or some other mechanism) would then be able to load balance 
outbound traffic between these two pseudo-interfaces. I think I would still need my custom health monitoring application
  to detect faults and dynamically disable the load-balancing (and try to restore load balancing).

(I previously asked about bridging the pseudo-interfaces. I don't think that can be used to load-balance.)

--- END Quoting the customer

[Cross post from Tech Support]
Attachment: Image VLAN_Network.jpg 10.08 KB