Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Multiple ethernet interfaces bridged to one ("virtual" internal) IP interface?: (2 Items)

Multiple ethernet interfaces bridged to one ("virtual" internal) IP interface?  
Hi All,

My searches for answers to this question have come up a bit short, so I'm now posing the question directly.  Can QNX 
Neutrino support the following scenario:

-  Two (or more?) physical ethernet interfaces, all connected to the same Layer 2 network (e.g. two or more 
interconnected physical ethernet switches).  This Layer 2 network also represents a single IP subnet, say 192.168.1.0/24

-  One ("virtual"?) IP interface under QNX, with a single IP address (say 192.168.1.100/24).

-  A software Layer 2 bridge function that bridges the one IP interface to the outside world.  Ideally, it would NOT 
forward packets from one physical ethernet interface to another, only between the many physical interfaces and the one 
virtual IP interface.

It would look something like this:

+-------- ethernet 1
                      |
  IP interface ---- bridge
                      |
                      +-------- ethernet 2

The bridge would NOT forward packets _between_ ethernets 1 and 2.  When the IP interface sends outgoing packets, the 
bridge would flood broadcasts, multicasts, and unknown unicasts out both ethernet interfaces.  The bridge would listen 
to and learn source MAC addresses (of external nodes) that it hears on ethernets 1 and 2.  For example, the bridge might
 learn that the MAC address of some external host A lives on ethernet 1, and the MAC address of another external host B 
lives on ethernet 2.  In the normal way, the internal IP interface learns (via ARP) the mapping between A's IP address 
and A's MAC address, and between B's IP address and B's MAC address.  When the internal IP interface sends an outgoing 
IP datagram destined to A, the bridge knows to send the packet out ethernet 1.  Similarly, when the internal IP 
interface sends an outgoing IP datagram destined to B, the bridge knows to send the packet out ethernet 2.  If changes 
occur in the external network (links go down, the spanning tree topology changes, etc.), the bridge re-learns the 
various MAC address locations, so that connectivity is maintained.

Does Neutrino support this kind of arrangement?  (As far as I know, QNX4 does not.  We are likely transitioning from 
QNX4 to Neutrino for other reasons, and I'm hoping that Neutrino can help us with the above problem as well.)

Thanks!!!

Walt

Re: Multiple ethernet interfaces bridged to one ("virtual" internal) IP interface?  
After some more searching, it looks like the answer to my question is likely to be "yes, this is (at least mostly) 
possible."

This appears to be a good documentation resource:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/internals/en/chap-networking-services.html

Walt