Jump to ID:
Networking

Project Home

Discussions

Wiki

Project Info
Forum Topic - 4.0 upgrade: (4 Items)
   
 
 
4.0 upgrade  
Hi:

Now that NetBSD 4.0 is released I plan on starting the
upgrade.  I'd like to do this via vendor and dev branches:
branches/vendor/NetBSD/netbsd-4
branches/dev/seanb_4

This is how I used to do it: branches under
trunk/scratch/seanb which was part of the product repo
but now I guess I have to recreate this under this repo...

Any objections before I start?

-seanb
Re: 4.0 upgrade  
I'm not sure I understand your question, but the scratch stuff is under
product/private/trunk/scratch/seanb

Sean Boudreau wrote: 


Hi: 

Now that NetBSD 4.0 is released I plan on starting the 
upgrade.  I'd like to do this via vendor and dev branches: 
branches/vendor/NetBSD/netbsd-4 
branches/dev/seanb_4 

This is how I used to do it: branches under 
trunk/scratch/seanb which was part of the product repo 
but now I guess I have to recreate this under this repo... 

Any objections before I start? 

-seanb 

_______________________________________________ 
Technology 
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088
<http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088>;  


-- 

cburgess@qnx.com <mailto:cburgess@qnx.com>; 
Re: 4.0 upgrade  
On Jan 7, 2008 12:05 PM, Colin Burgess <cburgess@qnx.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your question, but the scratch stuff is under
> product/private/trunk/scratch/seanb
>

That isn't public/transparent development however.

+1 for Sean's original scheme.

Thomas


>
> Sean Boudreau wrote:
>
>
> Hi:
>
> Now that NetBSD 4.0 is released I plan on starting the
> upgrade.  I'd like to do this via vendor and dev branches:
> branches/vendor/NetBSD/netbsd-4
> branches/dev/seanb_4
>
> This is how I used to do it: branches under
> trunk/scratch/seanb which was part of the product repo
> but now I guess I have to recreate this under this repo...
>
> Any objections before I start?
>
> -seanb
>
> _______________________________________________
> Technology
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088
> <http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088>;
>
>
> --
>
> cburgess@qnx.com <mailto:cburgess@qnx.com>;
>
> _______________________________________________
> Technology
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4091
>
>
RE: 4.0 upgrade  
Just reviewing now where we'll put things.  From our build group guru Keith"


" This is a special case where you are basing our code on NetBSD so it would
be useful to have the original code in place. You don't need it as a branch
per se, though. It's more of a static snapshot of the original import. Maybe
something as simple as tags/import/NetBSD to make it clear what it is. Make
a subdir for the different versions. Make an integration branch to handle
the merge (something akin to svn copy trunk branches/integrate_4.0; svn
merge branches/integrate_4.0 tags/import/NetBSD/4.0). Then merge back to
trunk when finished. You can always remove the integration branch later. It
is virtually identical to the way Sean does it but it makes it clearer to
the general public what's going on. I would actually avoid the whole scratch
thing. Use branches/developer/* or something similar instead. The scratch
thing was purely an internal thing which is only maintained for historical
reasons. Its main purpose was to ensure "play time" didn't get into shipping
product which--in reality--was a workaround for our lack of process and
change management."

	Robert.


-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fletcher [mailto:tfletche@gmail.com] 
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 1:53 PM
To: technology-networking
Subject: Re: 4.0 upgrade

On Jan 7, 2008 12:05 PM, Colin Burgess <cburgess@qnx.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your question, but the scratch stuff is under
> product/private/trunk/scratch/seanb
>

That isn't public/transparent development however.

+1 for Sean's original scheme.

Thomas


>
> Sean Boudreau wrote:
>
>
> Hi:
>
> Now that NetBSD 4.0 is released I plan on starting the
> upgrade.  I'd like to do this via vendor and dev branches:
> branches/vendor/NetBSD/netbsd-4
> branches/dev/seanb_4
>
> This is how I used to do it: branches under
> trunk/scratch/seanb which was part of the product repo
> but now I guess I have to recreate this under this repo...
>
> Any objections before I start?
>
> -seanb
>
> _______________________________________________
> Technology
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088
> <http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4088>;
>
>
> --
>
> cburgess@qnx.com <mailto:cburgess@qnx.com>;
>
> _______________________________________________
> Technology
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4091
>
>


_______________________________________________
Technology
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post4097