Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - High-Performance Network I/O Requirements: Page 1 of 11 (11 Items)

High-Performance Network I/O Requirements  
BACKGROUND:
A prospect in the Audio broadcasting business has some stringent Network I/O requirements.
They plan on using Intel Atom w/ US15W chipset. Today, they use RTP and their own implementation of PTP (not the 
standard IEEE1588)

QUESTION:
They ask the following scenario:
"
High performance network I/O: We need to transfer around 100,000 small packets per second on the 100Bt and/or Gbit 
network interface.
In RTAI, we turn off the interrupt per packet, and service the network I/O with one interrupt every 250usec. 
Our hardware (a programmable clock), makes this 4khz interrupt. Our signal processing happens within the same 250usec 
interval and generates output packets scheduled for transmit by the end of the 250usec interval. Network I/O packets 
that are not real time audio, are passed through to 'normal' Linux for control, web pages, etc.

How would we accomplish the same mechanism using QNX and the QNX network i/o driver?
	... How to disable the interrupt per packet?
	... How to process the network packet data that had come in since the last 250usec audio frame interrupt, with the real
 time deadline of
	    generating output packets by the end of the 250us interval.
	... How would we pass the non-audio packets through to non-real time (i.e. simply lower priority thread?) processing.
	.. How do we make sure that for network output, all real time audio packets get sent before any waiting low priority 
packets?
"

Thank you,
Karim.