Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - LSM name shown by pidin: (9 Items)

LSM name shown by pidin  
I've written a number of LSM's; when I run "pidin -p io-pkt-v4-hc mem" some of my modules show up with the expected name
 (i.e., "lsm-demo.so"), but some of them show up with the name "zero").  After many tests and experiments, I still have 
no idea why some of them lose track of their names and show up as anonymous memory.  Any suggestions as to how I can 
cure this?

Murf
Re: LSM name shown by pidin  
> I've written a number of LSM's; when I run "pidin -p io-pkt-v4-hc mem" some of
>  my modules show up with the expected name (i.e., "lsm-demo.so"), but some of 
> them show up with the name "zero").  After many tests and experiments, I still
>  have no idea why some of them lose track of their names and show up as 
> anonymous memory.  Any suggestions as to how I can cure this?
> 
> Murf

I believe it is known not yet fixed 'buglet' ->#PR43050.

Jeevan

Thanks for the info!  I'd pretty well determined that it has something to do with linking in library modules (including 
the source code of some particular library module in the build "cures" the problem), and that it was beyond  my control,
 but it's nice to hear that someone is (hopefully!) busy working on it.

Murf
I've spent another bunch of hours trying to track down this bug and/or find a workaround, with no success.  I'm unable 
to find any reference to PR43050; what's the procedure for tracking the progress on, or even the definition of, a PR?

Murf
RE: LSM name shown by pidin  
I'm pretty sure PRs aren't visible outside the company  :(

They contain customer references, etc.

--
aboyd
Re: RE: LSM name shown by pidin  
Aha, that makes sense!  But does that mean there's no way to track progress on a showstopper bug until a new release 
comes out?

Murf
As far as I know, the only way to track a PR's progress is to ask about it periodically.

I asked about this one (so I can add it to the release notes), and Brian Stecher says that pidin can get confused if the
 first page of a memory-mapped object gets written to. You're more likely to see the right name as you move from 6.3.2 
to 6.4.0 to 6.4.1, but the underlying problem still exists. There's no workaround.
Interesting!  The ONLY place we've seen the WRONG name is on 6.4.1.  I guess that resolving symbols could easily involve
 writing to the object, but I don't think I've have ever thought of that one.  I'll give up on that one for awhile and 
concentrate on other issues.

Thanks for the response!

Murf
Has there been any progress toward fixing this "buglet",  #PR43050.  The problem still exists in 6.50, and is causing us
 a bit of grief.

Murf