Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - slinger MIME types: (5 Items)

slinger MIME types  
I'm not sure where to post this -- can't find any better place, so here goes...

slinger apparently has a set of hard-coded MIME types based on file extension, but it doesn't include some key items 
like .js or .css.  Unfortunately, some modern browsers (e.g., Firefox) are unhappy about this, e.g., if you include a .
css and the MIME type doesn't properly indicate that it's text/css, then it will refuse to import it.  Similarly, 
Firebug won't show you any Javascript because the .js file wasn't marked as text/javascript.

I thought about porting a modern version of Apache, but that seems like major overkill to solve this.

So the questions are, can/will the current source for slinger be made available, and/or can some of the now-common MIME 
types be added to its table, and/or can it have a configurable MIME type table?

Thanks,
lew
Re: slinger MIME types  
On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:28:04AM -0400, Lewis Donzis wrote:
> I'm not sure where to post this -- can't find any better place, so here goes...
> 
> slinger apparently has a set of hard-coded MIME types based on file extension, but it doesn't include some key items 
like .js or .css.  Unfortunately, some modern browsers (e.g., Firefox) are unhappy about this, e.g., if you include a .
css and the MIME type doesn't properly indicate that it's text/css, then it will refuse to import it.  Similarly, 
Firebug won't show you any Javascript because the .js file wasn't marked as text/javascript.
> 
> I thought about porting a modern version of Apache, but that seems like major overkill to solve this.
> 
> So the questions are, can/will the current source for slinger be made available, and/or can some of the now-common 
MIME types be added to its table, and/or can it have a configurable MIME type table?

I'm looking into this for slinger.

BTW apache is here:

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/QNX/i386/6.4.1_head_20090724/

See the pkgsrc project:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/projects/pkgsrc

-seanb
Thanks a bunch, as usual, Sean.

And looking through the options, thttpd looks like a much better option and a closer slinger substitute.  Apache is way 
overkill for what I need.

So I'll give that a try and, assuming it works, no need to mess with slinger.

Thanks again,
lew
On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:28:04AM -0400, Lewis Donzis wrote:
> I'm not sure where to post this -- can't find any better place, so here goes...
> 
> slinger apparently has a set of hard-coded MIME types based on file extension, but it doesn't include some key items 
> 
> I thought about porting a modern version of Apache, but that seems like major overkill to solve this.
> 
> So the questions are, can/will the current source for slinger be made available, and/or can some of the now-common 
MIME types be added to its table, and/or can it have a configurable MIME type table?
> 

I added these but I used application/javascript rather than
text/javascript as per rfc 4329.  Making this extensible
and getting the source out there is still on the list...

Regards,

-seanb
> I added these but I used application/javascript rather than
> text/javascript as per rfc 4329.  Making this extensible
> and getting the source out there is still on the list...

Sorry, you're right, that is the correct mime type.

Acme's mini_httpd seems to be a reasonable replacement for slinger for the time being.  We have slinger source, but it's
 very old, probably from 6.2.  And for the moment, we have to compile to run on 6.3.2, so having source is the way to go

Thanks,

lew