Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - dhcp.client startup trouble: Page 1 of 17 (17 Items)

dhcp.client startup trouble  
I'm running 6.4.0 on a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L motherboard (which uses the RTL 8111C LAN chip) and a dual core CPU.

I have the network mode in net.cfg set to dhcp but on a reboot dhcp.client is not started.  I added it to rc.local but 
it doesn't work correctly.  dhcp.client is started and running when I log in but ifconfig doesn't show an IP address 
(not even 0.0.0.0).  If at that point I reconfigure the network via phlip, the initial instance of dhcp.client is killed
, a new one is started, and I get a valid IP address.  It will also start working if I manually restart dhcp.client.

However, if I invoke dhcp.client in .profile for the root account I get different behavior.  If I log in as soon as I 
can after a reboot I get the same behavior as above.  If I wait ten seconds before logging in ifconfig reports an IP of 
0.0.0.0 for around 15 seconds and then gets a valid IP.  If I let the machine sit on the login screen for around 30 
seconds before I log in everything is fine.

Also on a side note, I left the machine on last night and when I came in today io-pkt-v4-hc was alternating between the 
cores about once a second taking 100% CPU time.  I was unable to slay io-pkt-v4-hc and reset the machine with a shutdown
 command.

Anyone have any ideas?