Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Ability to send IP packets through a specific Interface: (1 Item)

Ability to send IP packets through a specific Interface  
Hi,

Im not sure if this thread should be under general or under technology forum, so I am posting this one under both.

RFC 2292 is currently supported by io-pkt. However, this RFC is only applicable for IPV6. In particular, I am interested

in the section 5 aspects but want to achieve this for IPV4 packets. Section 5. I am providing a brief excerpt of the 
functionality this section covers.

"There are four pieces of information that an application can specify
   for an outgoing packet using ancillary data:

1.  the source IP address,
       2.  the outgoing interface index,
       3.  the outgoing hop limit, and
       4.  the next hop address.

Three similar pieces of information can be returned for a received
   packet as ancillary data:

1.  the destination IP address,
       2.  the arriving interface index, and
       3.  the arriving hop limit."	

My question is:
1. This particular ability has always been provided on Linux. We have decided to use QNX instead of Linux but currently 

am facing a roadblock to port some features of Linux we were using and one of them is related to the feature mentioned 
above. In particular, I'm interested in sending an IP/UDP  packet through a specific ethernet Interface via sendmsg 
interface bypassing the routing table. Are there any requests previously made to add this support in io-pkt?

2. If the answer to question1 is No, then I would want like to put in efforts to add this feature into io-pkt. Can 
someone point me in the right directions? I have already downloaded the source code, am able to compile and have setup 
my debug environment. I want to know if there are any pitfalls or things with io-pkt I need to be aware of that could 
create some issues. As such I am beginning to compare IPV6 code and IPv4 code to see if I can fit things in just like 
what IPV6 does since this feature is already supported in IPV6.

Any help or pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Santosh