Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Get default gateway in C: (12 Items)

Get default gateway in C  
Hi,

I need to get the default gateway (on QNX6.6) and display it live on our display.

With "netstat -rn" I can easily get the default gateway, but I need to do it programmatically in C. A simple approach 
would be to just do a string search on the stdout of "netstat -rn" and find the default gateway. However, our realtime 
system is really sensitive and easily disturbed by activities like starting and killing processes (this is a whole 
different story, bottom line, a QNX kernel engineer told us we cannot start or kill threads at runtime if we ever want 
stable timings).

So, is there a way to get the current default gateway, e.g. with ioctl, without launching route or netstat? I found some
 solutions online but they are Linux only.

Cheers,
Benjamin
Re: Get default gateway in C  
> a QNX kernel engineer told us we cannot start or kill threads at runtime if we

Correction: cannot start or kill processes*
> > a QNX kernel engineer told us we cannot start or kill threads at runtime if 
> we
> 
> Correction: cannot start or kill processes*

Sorry to derail your question, but I'm curious about what problems you were running in to with process management.  Does
 this have to do with a IPI_TLB_FLUSH flood on a multicore system?

-Will

Hi Will,

Yes, that's it, exactly. How do you know about the TLB flushes? Is this common knowledge? It took us a lot of digging 
and debugging to find out about it.

-Benjamin
For me, it was a long and sordid tale of woe about trying to track down why a hardware driver we wrote for QNX 6.3 
failed to meet its targets on a new multicore SBC using QNX 6.6.   I spent a lot of time with tracelogger trying to pin 
down what was causing the mysterious delays.   (In the end, I never did mange to solve it -- it seemed like there's some
 kind of intermittent PCIe root complex stall with that board.   When it gets stuck, the other core can still access RAM
, but any attempt to perform memory-mapped IO through any PCIe port would also stall.)

Anyhow, we run Samba on our target boards to provide easy file transfers for Windows clients; and Samba loves to create 
and destroy processes with a zillion shared objects, so I saw a lot of these TLB flush floods in my traces.   I can't 
speak for other customers, but I imagine that pretty much anyone with a multicore x86 system who catches a process 
destruction in tracelogger would've seen it.   I don't know if it affects other architectures, so far we're still an x86
-only shop here.   To be fair, I still have an old copy of the QNX 6.4 kernel sources from way back before BB screwed up
 all the policies, and that was somewhat helpful for understanding what the IPI was meant to be doing.

To mitigate the floods we (a) set the runmask on all of our real-time components to lock them to the first core; and 
then (b) use 'slay -i -C 0' to also lock procnto's non-idle threads to that core as well.   By locking procnto's threads
, we ensure that CPU 0 can never be flooded out as it's always the *source* of the TLB flush interrupts; those procnto 
threads will just be preempted by a real-time thread when needed.   It's hardly ideal -- essentially only the one core 
can be treated as real-time, and there's a performance penalty introduced with every procnto call on other cores -- but 
at least we get one core that we can still rely on.

For posterity's sake, I'd also like to note here that I recall reading that QNX 7.0 had a major rewrite of the memory 
manager, so it's quite possible this issue has been fixed in the current release.  I haven't tried it myself -- 
unfortunately we've still got too much Photon code to migrate to something else before we can look at making that jump.

-Will
Hey Will,

> For me, it was a long and sordid tale of woe about trying to track down why a hardware driver we wrote for QNX 6.3 
failed to meet its targets on a new multicore SBC using QNX 6.6.  I spent a lot of time with tracelogger trying to pin 
down what was causing the mysterious delays.

We have the exact same problem with our EtherCAT driver. We updated from QNX6.5 to QNX6.6. We do not start or stop any 
processes anymore and that helped (no more massive TLB flush storms), but the controller is still not as stable as it 
used to be.

>  and Samba loves to create and destroy processes with a zillion shared objects, so I saw a lot of these TLB flush 
floods in my traces. 

What a nightmare.

> I don't know if it affects other architectures, so far we're still an x86-only shop here.

We are also x86-only but from what I've heard so far, it seems like it happens on all SMP versions of QNX6.6. They said 
they fixed a race condition that was present in the QNX6.5 kernel, and the fix is causing those TLB flushes. So 
basically they had to sacrifice responsiveness for correctness. I do not know how QNX7.0 performs in those regards.

>  To be fair, I still have an old copy of the QNX 6.4 kernel sources from way back before BB screwed up all the 
policies

I wish I did too. I don't have any kernel source. Sometimes I look into openqnx on github, but it's old and doesn't map 
that well onto the newer kernels anymore.

>To mitigate the floods we (a) set the runmask on all of our real-time components to lock them to the first core; and 
then (b) use 'slay -i -C 0' to also lock procnto's non-idle threads to that core as well. By locking procnto's threads, 
we ensure that CPU 0 can never be flooded out as it's always the *source* of the TLB flush interrupts

That's clever. We did (a) because it makes timing much more stable, but we did not know about (b).

> I haven't tried it myself -- unfortunately we've still got too much Photon code to migrate to something else before we
 can look at making that jump.

Didn't you already have to get rid of Photon when using QNX6.6? For graphics I can recommend Crank Storyboard. It's 
solid cross-platform software with various renderers (hardware OpenGL based, software, etc). It's pretty cheap too. It 
is supported both on photon and screen based QNX versions.

Anyway, we cannot go up to QNX7.0 because of old ethernet, wlan and graphics drivers for the old hardware that do not 
exist on QNX7.0 and cost a fortune to port (they're mostly closed source to us, otherwise I'd do it myself). The entire 
thing is unfortunate because I ported everything else to QNX7.0 and it's generally running well. The biggest change is 
that they completely reworked the PCI server - that cost me the most time.

Cheers,
Benjamin
Hi Benjamin,

On 2019-01-23 4:23 a.m., Benjamin Richner wrote:
> To mitigate the floods we (a) set the runmask on all of our real-time components to lock them to the first core; and 
then (b) use 'slay -i -C 0' to also lock procnto's non-idle threads to that core as well. By locking procnto's threads, 
we ensure that CPU 0 can never be flooded out as it's always the *source* of the TLB flush interrupts
> That's clever. We did (a) because it makes timing much more stable, but we did not know about (b).

For posterity, I've attached the OpenRC init.d script we use that does (b).   Note it loops until it confirms that all 
threads have the right runmask, because sometimes they come and go during the operation.

>
>> I haven't tried it myself -- unfortunately we've still got too much Photon code to migrate to something else before 
we can look at making that jump.
> Didn't you already have to get rid of Photon when using QNX6.6? For graphics I can recommend Crank Storyboard. It's 
solid cross-platform software with various renderers (hardware OpenGL based, software, etc). It's pretty cheap too. It 
is supported both on photon and screen based QNX versions.

Ironically in this context, QNX has generally been pretty good about arranging that binaries compiled for the previous 
release just work on the new one.   I just boxed up Photon from 6.5 (including the io-graphics framework and drivers) 
into a package we could deploy on our 6.6 platform.    It seems to works as well as it ever did in 6.5 (which is to say,
 there are still bugs that have to be worked around, but it gets the job done).

Truthfully we're looking at migrating away from QNX for our future human interfaces; currently we're looking at 
commodity tablets running commodity operating systems.    The goal being that we can focus on writing the UI using FOSS 
tools without getting bogged down in graphics driver woes or display signal timing issues anymore.

> Anyway, we cannot go up to QNX7.0 because of old ethernet, wlan and graphics drivers for the old hardware that do not 
exist on QNX7.0 and cost a fortune to port (they're mostly closed source to us, otherwise I'd do it myself). The entire 
thing is unfortunate because I ported everything else to QNX7.0 and it's generally running well. The biggest change is 
that they completely reworked the PCI server - that cost me the most time.

Yeah, I looked over some of the beta release of the new PCI server.   I can certainly understand the need for it -- I 
had to patch in additional IRQ routing capabilities for our hardware to the old server and I can appreciate the desire 
to reorganize. I'm not looking forward to making the jump; right now our current system is a single platform image using
 enum-devices to self-configure for whatever hardware it lands on, so we'll either have to build out a new device 
detection framework or completely rethink how we deploy.

-Will 
Attachment: Text kernel-ipi-workaround 1.49 KB
Thanks, Will. I'll take a look into that script.

We have significant vendor-lock-in with QNX so we will not be migrating anytime soon, probably. Our systems run fairly 
stable now so I am not that unhappy with it at the moment.
There are 2 different possibilities. Either open a routing socket and send an RTM_GET message or issue a sysctl for:
        mib[0] = CTL_NET;
        mib[1] = PF_ROUTE;
        mib[2] = 0;
        mib[3] = 0;
        mib[4] = NET_RT_DUMP;
        mib[5] = 0;

Probably best to do the RTM_GET because then you can just get the default gateway rather than dumping the entire table 
and then having to parse out the default gateway.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your answer, it's really helpful. I'll try your approaches.

-Benjamin
Just as a small followup: I got it to work. The following GitHub repo was a great help:

https://github.com/k84d/unpv13e/blob/master/libroute/net_rt_dump.c

The API calls can be copied verbatim and it works in QNX. Cool!
Post Deleted