Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - qnet: fast resolver configuration for local environment: (2 Items)

qnet: fast resolver configuration for local environment  
We are using qnet on a system with two nodes and we are sure that our hostnames are unique in our local environment. 
Communication between the two nodes should be available as fast as possible. What we see with default configuration is a
 delay of 400 msec on startup of qnet:

Jan 01 09:00:00.573    7    15     0 qnet(L4): lr_verify_my_name_and_domain(): starting resolution of our hostname hu-
omap.dis2 to ensure unique
Jan 01 09:00:00.973    7    15     0 qnet(L4): lr_verify_my_name_and_domain(): qnet going online

I have set the "res_retries" to 0 which reduces the delay to 200 msec. I also tried to set "res_ticks" to 0, but this 
has no effect for the initial 200 msec delay. Setting "periodic_ticks" (default 200 msec) to a lower value seems quite 
dangerous, because it has impact on all timings.

What is your advice for saving additional time on resolution stage, if we do not need a resolver at all to ensure unique
 names?
Is it possible to write an own fast resolver and set it with "resolve=" option or set "resolve=none"? 
RE: qnet: fast resolver configuration for local environment  
You will need a resolver to resolve names to MAC addresses. 

You could try using the file resolver instead of the ndp (Node Discovery Protocol) resolver. The drawback of the file 
resolver is that you will need to know your remote MAC addresses ahead of time and have it populated in the file. This 
resolver will not attempt check for a duplicate name. 

There does not appear to be an option to disable the unique name check directly. Options that could affect behavior are 
generic and will affect other behavior as well.   res_retries will affect all resolver queries,   not just the unique 
name query for example. 

Thanks

Dave 

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Schickentanz [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Sent: April-07-15 2:45 AM
To: general-networking
Subject: qnet: fast resolver configuration for local environment

We are using qnet on a system with two nodes and we are sure that our hostnames are unique in our local environment. 
Communication between the two nodes should be available as fast as possible. What we see with default configuration is a
 delay of 400 msec on startup of qnet:

Jan 01 09:00:00.573    7    15     0 qnet(L4): lr_verify_my_name_and_domain(): starting resolution of our hostname hu-
omap.dis2 to ensure unique
Jan 01 09:00:00.973    7    15     0 qnet(L4): lr_verify_my_name_and_domain(): qnet going online

I have set the "res_retries" to 0 which reduces the delay to 200 msec. I also tried to set "res_ticks" to 0, but this 
has no effect for the initial 200 msec delay. Setting "periodic_ticks" (default 200 msec) to a lower value seems quite 
dangerous, because it has impact on all timings.

What is your advice for saving additional time on resolution stage, if we do not need a resolver at all to ensure unique
 names?
Is it possible to write an own fast resolver and set it with "resolve=" option or set "resolve=none"? 

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post113685
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com