Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Qnet discovery failure: (7 Items)

Qnet discovery failure  
I need some help from somebody who knows qnx and routers.  I have three systems hung from a linksys rv082.  All are 
using qnx 6.5 and (purportedly) using qnet.  The one booting under VMware (118) and one of the standalone boxes (110) 
can see each other just fine (ls /net shows 118 and 110 on both).  But the 'master' (103) sees neither.  I am just 
bringing up the network after a move and I reinstalled QNX on the 110 box to move from 6.4 to 6.5.  It worked the same 
previously and I had hopes that a new setup and upgrading one of the boxes would cure it, but no luck.  All three boxes 
are configured identically (as far as I can tell) and all three can ping each other.  Do you have any ideas on what to 
do or try to diagnose the problem.  I have read the manual and looked in obvious places, but no joy.  I thought there 
might be some isolation of 103 under the rv082 (not on the same sub-net) but I can't find it.
RE: Qnet discovery failure  
If IP is working, are all hosts on the same IP subnet? If so, the Qnet auto discovery should be working. Qnet uses 
broadcasts to discover the other nodes. You will want to make sure that auto discovery is not disabled on the command 
line (auto_add=x). You can use "cat /proc/qnetstats" to view any debugging related to node discovery. 

Dave

-----Original Message-----
Sent: July-11-13 1:28 PM
To: general-networking
Subject: Qnet discovery failure

I need some help from somebody who knows qnx and routers.  I have three systems hung from a linksys rv082.  All are 
using qnx 6.5 and (purportedly) using qnet.  The one booting under VMware (118) and one of the standalone boxes (110) 
can see each other just fine (ls /net shows 118 and 110 on both).  But the 'master' (103) sees neither.  I am just 
bringing up the network after a move and I reinstalled QNX on the 110 box to move from 6.4 to 6.5.  It worked the same 
previously and I had hopes that a new setup and upgrading one of the boxes would cure it, but no luck.  All three boxes 
are configured identically (as far as I can tell) and all three can ping each other.  Do you have any ideas on what to 
do or try to diagnose the problem.  I have read the manual and looked in obvious places, but no joy.  I thought there 
might be some isolation of 103 under the rv082 (not on the same sub-net) but I can't find it.

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post103114
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: Qnet discovery failure  
Dave, 

Thanks for the help. The IP is working - all 3 nodes can ping one another and qnx.com - all 3 nodes are hanging off the 
same Linksys RV082 router. All nodes started networking identically (as far as I can tell). The 3 nodes have IP 
addresses of 192.168.2.{103,110,118} and all have the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.0. I did not turn off auto-discovery
 on the errant node (103), but I am not sure how to tell that it is on or off when the machine is running. I have looked
 at qnetstats, but, really, I am not sure what I am seeing, though all of the machines appear to have similar (proc) 
files except for some addresses. EXCEPT that 110 and 118 show each other as Tx Connections with an RX Connection of 'ln 
1 rn 1 lc 1 rc 1 tc TCTC sq SQ' where TCTC == 97137 for 110, 38979 for 118, and SQ == 13 for 110, 5 for 118. AND 108 has
 nothing under either TX Connections or RX Connections. 

Are there any clues there that I should pursue? 

Terry 

----- Original Message -----

To: "general-networking" <general-networking@community.qnx.com> 
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 11:07:42 AM 
Subject: RE: Qnet discovery failure 

If IP is working, are all hosts on the same IP subnet? If so, the Qnet auto discovery should be working. Qnet uses 
broadcasts to discover the other nodes. You will want to make sure that auto discovery is not disabled on the command 
line (auto_add=x). You can use "cat /proc/qnetstats" to view any debugging related to node discovery. 

Dave 

I need some help from somebody who knows qnx and routers. I have three systems hung from a linksys rv082. All are using 
qnx 6.5 and (purportedly) using qnet. The one booting under VMware (118) and one of the standalone boxes (110) can see 
each other just fine (ls /net shows 118 and 110 on both). But the 'master' (103) sees neither. I am just bringing up the
 network after a move and I reinstalled QNX on the 110 box to move from 6.4 to 6.5. It worked the same previously and I 
had hopes that a new setup and upgrading one of the boxes would cure it, but no luck. All three boxes are configured 
identically (as far as I can tell) and all three can ping each other. Do you have any ideas on what to do or try to 
diagnose the problem. I have read the manual and looked in obvious places, but no joy. I thought there might be some 
isolation of 103 under the rv082 (not on the same sub-net) but I can't find it. 

General 
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com 

General 
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post103186 

Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime15065 3.67 KB
Does the section under L4 Status show that packets are being sent (txd ok or rx ok). It should show all network 
interfaces present. How many network interfaces are present on node 103?

Dave

From: community-noreply@qnx.com [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
Sent: July-15-13 12:43 PM
To: general-networking@community.qnx.com
Subject: Re: Qnet discovery failure

Dave,

Thanks for the help.  The IP is working - all 3 nodes can ping one another and qnx.com - all 3 nodes are hanging off the
 same Linksys RV082 router.  All nodes started networking identically (as far as I can tell).  The 3 nodes have IP 
addresses of 192.168.2.{103,110,118} and all have the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.0.  I did not turn off auto-
discovery on the errant node (103), but I am not sure how to tell that it is on or off when the machine is running.  I 
have looked at qnetstats, but, really, I am not sure what I am seeing, though all of the machines appear to have similar
 (proc) files except for some addresses.  EXCEPT that 110 and 118 show each other as Tx Connections with an RX 
Connection of 'ln 1 rn 1 lc 1 rc 1 tc TCTC sq SQ' where TCTC == 97137 for 110, 38979 for 118, and SQ == 13 for 110, 5 
for 118.  AND 108 has nothing under either TX Connections or RX Connections.

Terry

Dave

General
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com<mailto:
general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com>;

General
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com<mailto:
general-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com>;

Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime15071 8.59 KB
Ok, I think I might be seeing the problem (thanks), although I am not sure what to do. On 103, there are 3 connections 
plus the loopback: rt0, rt1 and wm0. I am using wm0 with rt0 and rt1 disabled. qnetstats shows 3 connections: rt0 and 
rt1. What to do, what to do? Ideas? 

Terry 

To: "general-networking@community.qnx.com" <general-networking@community.qnx.com> 
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 3:23:32 PM 

Does the section under L4 Status show that packets are being sent (txd ok or rx ok). It should show all network 

Dave 

Dave, 

Thanks for the help. The IP is working - all 3 nodes can ping one another and qnx.com - all 3 nodes are hanging off the 
same Linksys RV082 router. All nodes started networking identically (as far as I can tell). The 3 nodes have IP 
addresses of 192.168.2.{103,110,118} and all have the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.0. I did not turn off auto-discovery
 on the errant node (103), but I am not sure how to tell that it is on or off when the machine is running. I have looked
 at qnetstats, but, really, I am not sure what I am seeing, though all of the machines appear to have similar (proc) 
files except for some addresses. EXCEPT that 110 and 118 show each other as Tx Connections with an RX Connection of 'ln 
1 rn 1 lc 1 rc 1 tc TCTC sq SQ' where TCTC == 97137 for 110, 38979 for 118, and SQ == 13 for 110, 5 for 118. AND 108 has

Terry 

To: "general-networking" < general-networking@community.qnx.com > 

Dave 

From: Terry Laughlin [ mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com ] 

I need some help from somebody who knows qnx and routers. I have three systems hung from a linksys rv082. All are using 
qnx 6.5 and (purportedly) using qnet. The one booting under VMware (118) and one of the standalone boxes (110) can see 
each other just fine (ls /net shows 118 and 110 on both). But the 'master' (103) sees neither. I am just bringing up the
 network after a move and I reinstalled QNX on the 110 box to move from 6.4 to 6.5. It worked the same previously and I 
had hopes that a new setup and upgrading one of the boxes would cure it, but no luck. All three boxes are configured 
identically (as far as I can tell) and all three can ping each other. Do you have any ideas on what to do or try to 
diagnose the problem. I have read the manual and looked in obvious places, but no joy. I thought there might be some 
isolation of 103 under the rv082 (not on the same sub-net) but I can't find it. 

General 

General 
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail...
View Full Message
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime15075 8.38 KB
You can either add the Qnet option bind=wm0 (to specifically attach to wm0 only) or increase the max_num_l4s=x option 
from the default of two.

Io-pkt –d driver options,options –p /lib/dll/lsm-qnet.so bind=wm0
mount –T io-pkt –o bind=wm0 /lib/dll/lsm-qnet.so

Dave

Sent: July-15-13 4:15 PM

Ok, I think I might be seeing the problem (thanks), although I am not sure what to do.  On 103, there are 3 connections 
plus the loopback: rt0, rt1 and wm0.  I am using wm0 with rt0 and rt1 disabled.  qnetstats shows 3 connections: rt0 and 
rt1.  What to do, what to do?  Ideas?

Terry

Dave

From: community-noreply@qnx.com<mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com>; [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
To: general-networking@community.qnx.com<mailto:general-networking@community.qnx.com>;

Dave,

Thanks for the help.  The IP is working - all 3 nodes can ping one another and qnx.com - all 3 nodes are hanging off the
 same Linksys RV082 router.  All nodes started networking identically (as far as I can tell).  The 3 nodes have IP 
addresses of 192.168.2.{103,110,118} and all have the same subnet mask: 255.255.255.0.  I did not turn off auto-
discovery on the errant node (103), but I am not sure how to tell that it is on or off when the machine is running.  I 
have looked at qnetstats, but, really, I am not sure what I am seeing, though all of the machines appear to have similar
 (proc) files except for some addresses.  EXCEPT that 110 and 118 show each other as Tx Connections with an RX 
Connection of 'ln 1 rn 1 lc 1 rc 1 tc TCTC sq SQ' where TCTC == 97137 for 110, 38979 for 118, and SQ == 13 for 110, 5 
for 118.  AND 108 has nothing under either TX Connections or RX Connections.

Terry

Dave

previously and I had hopes that a new setup and upgrading one of the boxes would cure it, but no luck.  All three...
View Full Message
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime15078 13.16 KB
Dave, 

I was reading docs when I got your reply. I was thinking max=4, but I used bind=wm0 instead. I have talked with many 
over the last several years, but you make it look easy. Problem solved 

Thanks, 

Terry Laughlin 

To: "general-networking@community.qnx.com" <general-networking@community.qnx.com> 
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 4:21:47 PM 

You can either add the Qnet option bind=wm0 (to specifically attach to wm0 only) or increase the max_num_l4s=x option 
from the default of two. 

Io-pkt –d driver options,options –p /lib/dll/lsm-qnet.so bind=wm0 
mount –T io-pkt –o bind=wm0 /lib/dll/lsm-qnet.so 

Dave 

Sent: July-15-13 4:15 PM 

Ok, I think I might be seeing the problem (thanks), although I am not sure what to do. On 103, there are 3 connections 
plus the loopback: rt0, rt1 and wm0. I am using wm0 with rt0 and rt1 disabled. qnetstats shows 3 connections: rt0 and 
rt1. What to do, what to do? Ideas? 

Terry 

Dave 

From: community-noreply@qnx.com<mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com>; [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
To: general-networking@community.qnx.com<mailto:general-networking@community.qnx.com>; 

Dave, 

Terry 

Dave 

I need some help from somebody who knows qnx and routers. I...
View Full Message
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime15081 6.43 KB