Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Raw Ethernet using lsm-nraw: (1 Item)

Raw Ethernet using lsm-nraw  
We're endeavoring to migrate our product from 6.3.x and 6.5.0 (I know, we're late to the party) and we're having trouble
 getting our io-net 'filter' ported. I put 'filter' in quotes because it's not really a filter, it's more of a tap to 
allow insertion and extraction of proprietary protocol packets over Ethernet.

We initially headed down the BPF route. The BPF migration was easy and seemed to work until we tried running on some of 
our old hardware with the system fully loaded. Things didn't go so well. The data we're sending is time critical control
 information and I recently saw that BPF is non-deterministic (post22779). That's not good for us.

So, our alternative seems to be lsm-nraw. I got a binary from our FAE and tried it with the pktdump sample but that 
didn't go well either. Perhaps I'm missing something. I mounted lsm-nraw.so and it seemed to work, I see the /dev/socket
/nraw/wm0 entry. When I started pktdump, I was expecting to see a bunch of data but got nothing. I tried pinging the 
device using the interface with nraw attached but saw nothing from pktdump. What am I missing?

I tried to rebuild lsm-nraw.so but I seem to be missing a bunch of header files. Would one of the QNX folks attach an 
x86 lsm-nraw.so build that I could try.

Any other ideas about why the pktdump sample isn't working would be appreciated. I'm reluctant to port our protocol code
 until I believe I can at least see packets using lsm-nraw. Thanks.

Mark