Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - large TCP windows: Page 1 of 8 (8 Items)

large TCP windows  
While we're on the subject of NetBSD compatibility...

I haven't done any thorough research into the following, so it's equally a question about where NetBSD is at.

In some "really modern" TCP/IP stacks, the window size is no longer something you "set" to some maximum value, but is a 
range of values and it dynamically adjusts to whatever is necessary to assure good performance with the smallest 
possible memory usage.  Obviously, on some connections with large bandwidth * delay products, the only way to get good 
performance is with a very large TCP windows.

Anyway, at a minimum, modern Linux and (ugh) Vista appear to do this, and I just assumed that NetBSD would also do so.

However... one thing I noticed over the years, even on 6.3.2, is that setting the TCP send or receive window size much 
over 200k causes any connection to get an error.  For example:

root@qdev:/root# sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=233017 
net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 233017 -> 233017
root@qdev:/root# telnet 1.2.3.4                          
Trying 1.2.3.4...
telnet: socket: No buffer space available

(Note: 233016 works.)

So anyway, I figured with all of this new NetBSD portability, this would certainly be fixed and we'd also have the fancy
 new auto-dynamic stuff, but apparently, no such luck.  The exact same thing happens on 6.4.0.

This is not a really terrible problem for us, but it would be nice to hear what the roadmap is for the NetBSD stack.

In our particular application, 99% of our TCP connections are relatively short range, so a small window works fine.  But
 we also have a few connections that go over the Internet and move a lot of data, and it takes a really long time unless
 you have a pretty big TCP window.

For the time being, we just set it to 64k, but that's a compromise and the best is where the stack automatically figures
 out what it needs.

Thanks,
lew