Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32: Page 1 of 2 (29 Items)

QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
I made a bsp with the alpha qnx7 momentics and was able to get a x86_64 bsp to work with a Dell R720 and all it's pci 
and integrated interfaces. 
I tried to create a x86_32 bsp and the nic isn't compatible.  Am I doing something wrong? I made sure to set the 
stacksize to 4096 and made sure all of the 32bit architecture parameters were accounted for.

When I would run a ifconfig the bottom of the output would state ifconfig: link_status: ioctl: Bad Address
Along with nicinfo -v would output bad address next to dvcr_config and another attribute.

I am assuming that the x86_32 bit version of the e1000 driver is not compatible with the NIC. 
Am I wrong in this assumption?

Thanks! Also if there is any additional information out there for building bsps I would appreciate the help. I have 
pulled all the documentation from qnx and foundry but any additional info would be nice!
Re: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
Please try the attached 32-bit driver.

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2017-12-29, 4:05 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

I made a bsp with the alpha qnx7 momentics and was able to get a x86_64 bsp to work with a Dell R720 and all it's 
pci and integrated interfaces. 
    I tried to create a x86_32 bsp and the nic isn't compatible.  Am I doing something wrong? I made sure to set the 
stacksize to 4096 and made sure all of the 32bit architecture parameters were accounted for.

When I would run a ifconfig the bottom of the output would state ifconfig: link_status: ioctl: Bad Address
    Along with nicinfo -v would output bad address next to dvcr_config and another attribute.

I am assuming that the x86_32 bit version of the e1000 driver is not compatible with the NIC. 
    Am I wrong in this assumption?

Thanks! Also if there is any additional information out there for building bsps I would appreciate the help. I have 
pulled all the documentation from qnx and foundry but any additional info would be nice!

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118298
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Attachment: Text devnp-e1000.so.32.gz 212.69 KB
Re: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
So I tried using the driver you supplied but the result was the same. I am posting a picture of what I am seeing.

Attachment: Image Capture2.PNG 55.91 KB
I have installed the 32-bit X86 BSP on my development machine, created a boot image and booted my PC with this image. 
Both e1000 interfaces on my PC work fine with the 32-bit driver. Are you sure that you are not mixing 32 and 64-bit 
executables?

On 2018-01-03, 10:41 AM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

So I tried using the driver you supplied but the result was the same. I am posting a picture of what I am seeing.

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118309
    To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

I am fairly certain I am using only 32 bit executables. 
Do you mind sharing your build file for me to compare. To make sure that I am not accidentally forgetting something?

I appreciate it!
Also I am using the io-pkt-v4-hc driver instead of the io-pkt-v6-hc driver
You should only use the io-pkt-v6-hc driver with SDP7.

On 2018-01-03, 11:37 AM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Also I am using the io-pkt-v4-hc driver instead of the io-pkt-v6-hc driver

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118312

I guess what is the difference between io-pkt-v4-hc and io-pkt-v6-hc?
In the alpha of SDP7 I was able to use io-pkt-v4-hc in the x86_64 bit version?
RE: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
Both io-pkt-v4-hc and io-pkt-v6-hc are supported on both 32bit & 64bit targets in SDP7.

You should not use io-pkt-v4 in SDP7.

For your e1000 issue, check the pci-server configuration --  there may be a base address missing from your build file.  
 'pci -v' output may help troubleshoot this.

regards,
Dean.

Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 12:19 PM
To: drivers-networking
Subject: Re: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32

Networking Drivers
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118315
Re: RE: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
Hello Dean,

Can you elaborate what you mean the base address is missing in my build file?

Thanks,
Scott
RE: RE: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32  
should be "device id" not "base address" -- the output from "pci" or "pci -v" should indicate the device ID of your NIC,
 I usually see them defined in the "net-start.sh" script in the build file.

Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 1:34 PM
To: drivers-networking
Subject: Re: RE: QNX7 devnp-e1000.so works for Intel Integrated I350 NIC for x86_64 but not x86_32

Hello Dean,

Can you elaborate what you mean the base address is missing in my build file?

Thanks,
Scott

Networking Drivers
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118319
io-pkt-v4-hc was dropped from the official release of SDP7, so only io-pkt-v6-hc is supported.

On 2018-01-03, 11:58 AM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118315

I have attached my build file.

On 2018-01-03, 11:34 AM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

I am fairly certain I am using only 32 bit executables. 
    Do you mind sharing your build file for me to compare. To make sure that I am not accidentally forgetting something?

I appreciate it!

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118311

Attachment: Text x86-generic.build 22.16 KB
Hello Hugh,

So I took your build image and created an image from it and included the 32 bit e1000 driver as well.
I get the same results as before. Is there something wrong with the BSP that I downloaded from QNX.

Also there shouldn't be any issues if I am running the image as a virtual image via a DRAC console correct? It treats it
 as if it were a disk image on a harddrive so i figure there shouldn't be any issues from this.

Thanks,
Scott
This sounds as though there could be an incompatibility issue with your virtual machine. I ran on a native PC. The BSP 
that you downloaded from QNX should be OK, but to be on the safe side, you should be running the official release of 
SDP7.

Hugh.

On 2018-01-03, 1:16 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Hello Hugh,

So I took your build image and created an image from it and included the 32 bit e1000 driver as well.
    I get the same results as before. Is there something wrong with the BSP that I downloaded from QNX.

Also there shouldn't be any issues if I am running the image as a virtual image via a DRAC console correct? It 
treats it as if it were a disk image on a harddrive so i figure there shouldn't be any issues from this.

Thanks,
    Scott

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118320

So I went and wrote the image to a harddrive and booted from the harddrive. I achieved the same results as before. I 
checked the pci-tool and it shows the nic is there. For some reason, there is still a compatibility issue with the 
integrated nic x540/i350 

I ran the ixgbe for the x540 and e1000 for i350. 
I even used the did and vid when starting the driver.

Does the problem occur with both the x540 and i350? If so, then this isn’t a driver problem. Have you updated to the 
official SDP7 release?

On 2018-01-03, 2:42 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

So I went and wrote the image to a harddrive and booted from the harddrive. I achieved the same results as before. I
 checked the pci-tool and it shows the nic is there. For some reason, there is still a compatibility issue with the 
integrated nic x540/i350 

I ran the ixgbe for the x540 and e1000 for i350. 
    I even used the did and vid when starting the driver.

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118323

It occurs for both the x540 and i350 only on 32bit. I have not tried the x540 for 64bit, but I know the i350 works for 
the 64bit using the e1000 driver and io-pkt-v4-hc. 

I believe the SDP I am using is the official release of QNX7. 
I have attached my boot image to this email. Please can you try it?

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2018-01-03, 2:56 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

It occurs for both the x540 and i350 only on 32bit. I have not tried the x540 for 64bit, but I know the i350 works 
for the 64bit using the e1000 driver and io-pkt-v4-hc. 

I believe the SDP I am using is the official release of QNX7. 

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118325

Attachment: Text x86-generic.bin.gz 7.95 MB
Hugh,

I built an image from the binary you sent me and I am getting the same result. When the image boots it actually doesn't 
start the network driver. When I start the network driver it gives me the same result as before. I did notice something 
odd and I think it may be something with pci-server or when I create the image.(Not sure yet)
But when I go to cat the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file it throws a bad address.

Attached is the cat of the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file.

Thanks,
Scott
Attachment: Image Capture3.PNG 112.21 KB
Scott,

Do all commands on your system fail under 32-bit, or only some of them? Do you see any errors on the screen while 
booting the system? Does USB work?
Please can you send me the output from “pidin in” and “pidin arg”. Can you run “ls –lR /” to see if the file 
system recurses?
I’m trying to figure out why 32-bit isn’t working, but 64-bit is.

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2018-01-03, 4:46 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Hugh,

I built an image from the binary you sent me and I am getting the same result. When the image boots it actually 
doesn't start the network driver. When I start the network driver it gives me the same result as before. I did notice 
something odd and I think it may be something with pci-server or when I create the image.(Not sure yet)
    But when I go to cat the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file it throws a bad address.

Attached is the cat of the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file.

Thanks,
    Scott

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118327

I wonder why there are no compatibility libs available for running 32bit
drivers within a 64bit environment and vs.
Please explain ..

Armin

Hugh Brown schrieb:
>  Scott,
>
> Do all commands on your system fail under 32-bit, or only some of them? Do you see any errors on the screen while 
booting the system? Does USB work?
> Please can you send me the output from “pidin in” and “pidin arg”. Can you run “ls –lR /
” to see if the file system recurses?
> I’m trying to figure out why 32-bit isn’t working, but 64-bit is.
>
> Thanks, Hugh.
>
> On 2018-01-03, 4:46 PM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:
>
>     Hugh,
>     
>     I built an image from the binary you sent me and I am getting the same result. When the image boots it actually 
doesn't start the network driver. When I start the network driver it gives me the same result as before. I did notice 
something odd and I think it may be something with pci-server or when I create the image.(Not sure yet)
>     But when I go to cat the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file it throws a bad address.
>     
>     Attached is the cat of the pcidatabase.com-tab_delimited.txt file.
>     
>     Thanks,
>     Scott
>     
>     
>     
>     _______________________________________________
>     
>     Networking Drivers
>     http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118327
>     To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
>     
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Networking Drivers
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118331
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail drivers-networking-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Hugh,

When it loads I don't see any errors. Everything works as it should. I am able to run a pidin in, pidin arg, and ls -lR 
without any errors.

The only error I see is when I run the ifconfig and nicinfo -v pertaining to the bad address of the nics.

The first image is the pidin in 
second image is pidin arg

Attachment: Image Capture5.PNG 116.47 KB Image Capture4.PNG 213.18 KB
Scott,

Are you able to insert a USB stick into the machine and mount it? Please let me know, as I would like to capture more 
information, rather than screen shots.

Thanks, Hugh.

On 2018-01-04, 9:53 AM, "Scott Poulin" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

Hugh,

When it loads I don't see any errors. Everything works as it should. I am able to run a pidin in, pidin arg, and ls 
-lR without any errors.

The only error I see is when I run the ifconfig and nicinfo -v pertaining to the bad address of the nics.

The first image is the pidin in 
    second image is pidin arg

Networking Drivers
    http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post118333

Hey Hugh, it appears that I am able to mount a usb drive and there doesn't appear to be issues there. I happen to be 
going through the slog2info and found the attached error. It looks like that there is an issue with the pci_cap-0x10 or 
pci_cap-0x11

it states that pci_log says that the pci_cap-0x10 file can't be found for my nics.

I also tested this image an alternate server. It was a different model/make server, but it was able to boot the image 
and use the nic and io-blk drivers. 

So from the image provided, is there an issue with the NIC and driver compatibility?

Thanks,
Scott
Attachment: Image Capture6.PNG 95.19 KB