Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Ethernet driver hangs?: (8 Items)

Ethernet driver hangs?  
I have an x86 board with two 10/100/1000 ports using RealTek 8169 chipsets.  I'm using a driver for the RealTek 8111 
family.

Everything seems to work fine until...

I have the two ports on different subnets and I put the system under heavy load.

A common problem is that the second port will lose its IP address.  I set it again using ifconfig.  After a short period
 of time under load the ports stop transmitting.  Both ports stop.

Both ports show that they are up and still have their IP Address.  The only thing interesting is that ifconfig flags 
returns OACTIVE after they are hung.  This flag does not appear when they are working.  I have to reboot to get things 
working again (I could probably unload and reload the drivers, just haven't bothered yet.)

Anyone seen this problem before?  Does it sound like a problem with the driver or ???

I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanx
Tim
Re: Ethernet driver hangs?  
On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 05:12:18PM -0400, Tim Gessner wrote:
> I have an x86 board with two 10/100/1000 ports using RealTek 8169 chipsets.  I'm using a driver for the RealTek 8111 
family.
> 
> Everything seems to work fine until...
> 
> I have the two ports on different subnets and I put the system under heavy load.
> 
> A common problem is that the second port will lose its IP address.  I set it again using ifconfig.  After a short 
period of time under load the ports stop transmitting.  Both ports stop.
> 
> Both ports show that they are up and still have their IP Address.  The only thing interesting is that ifconfig flags 
returns OACTIVE after they are hung.  This flag does not appear when they are working.  I have to reboot to get things 
working again (I could probably unload and reload the drivers, just haven't bothered yet.)
> 
> Anyone seen this problem before?  Does it sound like a problem with the driver or ???
> 
> I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed.
> 

The tx side of the driver is probably stuck.  If ping
returns ENOBUFS that's another indication.  Anything
in the sloginfo?

-seanb
sloginfo isn't consistent.  I just caused the failure twice.  

The first time it didn't have any info from the time of the failure.  Prior to the failure sloginfo reported "devn-
rtl8169: rx error/overflow interrupt, resetting".

The second time sloginfo reported "devn-rtl8169: isr_status 0xffff PCI System error".  This appears to be at the time of
 the failure.

Is there a way to see the response from ping without writing my own code?

Thanx
Tim
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:17:06PM -0400, Tim Gessner wrote:
> sloginfo isn't consistent.  I just caused the failure twice.  
> 
> The first time it didn't have any info from the time of the failure.  Prior to the failure sloginfo reported "devn-
rtl8169: rx error/overflow interrupt, resetting".
> 
> The second time sloginfo reported "devn-rtl8169: isr_status 0xffff PCI System error".  This appears to be at the time 
of the failure.
> 
> Is there a way to see the response from ping without writing my own code?

Just try to ping something and see what it spits out on
the console.  If you get "No buffer space available" it's
from ENOBUFS.

-seanb
Well in that case ping returns Destination Host Unreachable - though I can successfully ping it before the network fails

Thanx
Tim
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 01:03:20PM -0400, Tim Gessner wrote:
> Well in that case ping returns Destination Host Unreachable - though I can successfully ping it before the network 
fails.

Is that your loss of address issue?  Does the ping work if you
restore it?

-seanb
The loss of address and network failure are two separate things.

When I lose the address, I can restore it and things work again.

When the network fails there is nothing I can do but reboot.

When the network fails the OACTIVE bit is set in flags from ifconfig.

Thanx
Tim
Any suggestions on how to track down the problem?

Thanx
Tim