Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - 8 octet physical node id: (1 Item)

8 octet physical node id  
A year or two ago I used the iopkt sample driver to create a network driver which works fine. I have taken this same 
code and modified it for a different application and it works and I am able to exchange packets with other nodes I am 
trying to talk to. However, I am trying to emulate an 802.15.4 type device and the other nodes I am communicating with 
expect the physical node address for packets from me to be 8 octets instead of 6. I think if I could take my existing 
code and specify that it has an 8 byte address it would work. Looking at the _nic_config struct in nicinfo.h I saw the 
permanent_address and currrent_address fields are defined to have 8 octets, so I tried adding two octets to my address 
and changing mac_length from 6 to 8 when I copy my address in the _init function. If I build and run this, I just appear
 to get the first 6 octets with the last two truncated. I suspect I am oversimplifying this. Can this be done, and if so
, would it be a matter of changing settings in the nic_config and ifnet settings to make it work. For example, I suspect
 I need to change the value for media in the nic_config struct, but I am not sure what I would set it to or where I 
should begin or if what I want to do is really possible.