Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - MAC address problem with devn-vortex.so: (9 Items)

MAC address problem with devn-vortex.so  
Hi, I'm using io-net with the devn-vortex driver under QNX 6.3.2.

My system loads io-net then dhcp.client which successfully obtains an IP address from my LAN and connects to the network
:

en0: flags=8443<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,OACTIVE,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:00:60:00:00:01
        inet 192.168.0.29 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 255.255.255.255

However the MAC address always appears as 00:00:60:00:00:01 on all my boards as shown above.

I have changed the MAC address to the boards correct ones using:

io-net -d vortex mac=001BEB0073A3 -p tcpip

when in the build scipt, or

mount -T io-net -o mac=12345678 devn-vortex.so
followed by restarting dhcp.client

after booting. 

Both methods do change the MAC address but this results in no valid IP address:

en0: flags=8043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:1b:eb:00:73:a3
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255

I can set the IP address to something using 

ifconfig en0 192.168.0.10

which results in the device appearing in the attached devices list on my router but alas still no network connectivity.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm sure the solution is really not far off. I do require unique MAC addresses 
because several of my devices will be clustered onto LANs. By the way, I'm using the fairly new Versalogic Tomcat board.

Thanks in advance!
Re: MAC address problem with devn-vortex.so  
Hello
I guess this a DHCP server issue, your QNX config seems to be OK.
You have to check out if the DHCP server allows you to get IP addresses for the MAC address you chose.
Henri
Hi,

There's no restriction on MAC addresses with my DHCP server as far as I can see. If don't use dhcp.client and set the 
network up manually using something like:

ifconfig en0 192.168.0.130 up netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255
route add default 192.168.0.1

then I see the IP address and MAC address on my router but cannot connected in or out of the network on the QNX board. 
Note that this problem only occurs when I change the MAC address from the driver's default value. If I don't change the 
MAC address then both DHCP and the lines above work fine and I can connect to my device. 
Hi Alex,

If still of your interest ..., try with the attached version.

QNX v6.3.2 Network driver "devn-vortex.so" (some fixes ..., respect to the original version)

Cheers, CIMTECH - Italy
Attachment: Text devn-vortex_qnx632.tar.gz 94.59 KB
Fabio,

We ran into the same MAC address problem and I managed to get source code from DMP, the creator of the vortex driver.  
The problem was that the original source code hard coded the 00:00:60:00:00:01 MAC address and I changed the code to use
 the pre-programmed address.  However, I am having some instabilities running this driver under io-pkt-v4 with a second 
interface and running dhcp.client.

I realize you may be restricted by company proprietary rules, but I would like to know what other problems you found 
with the driver code as provided by DMP.
Hi Robert,

Did you tried our version?

Can you post the nicinfo output?

Regards, Fabio
Thanks for replying.  I tried your driver and it didn't operate any differently than ours.  It looks like the 
instability I'm seeing is an interaction between dhcp.client and lsm-autoip.so.  The vortex driver doesn't seem to be 
involved.  I would like to know if you found any bugs in the DMP source code that I should be aware of.
 For what I remember, the MAC address problem and something inside of the module mii.c. 

Check the output of the nicinfo ...

Fabio 
does anyone have solution? i run into similar problem; in my case the driver works only if mac address set as default 00
-00-60-00-00-01; once i use mac option to change address nic doesn't reply to ping from external and nothing works. 

drivers attached in this discussion have same issue.

thanks

ed