Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - CDC ECM Driver: (3 Items)

CDC ECM Driver  
Hi,

I'm porting an application from LINUX to QNX that uses CDC ECM over USB. The Linux Kernel supported this by linking a 
network device to the USB device. 

So far, I have created a rudimentary USB CDC ECM driver that detects if a ECM device is plugged in and obtains the Data 
interfaces and endpoints, etc. The USB DDK seems to make all this work fine.

What I am quite unclear about is how to link this to a network device. So far I have come to the conclusion that I need 
to 

a) Create a network device driver that receives the packets from the stack and passes them onto the USB driver which 
writes them to ECM data channel (In itself an altsetting.)
b) Create the reverse mechanism, a means of the USB driver sending received packets on the ECM.
c) Some mechanism to create the (enX) device...

So far I guess I need to be able to write a driver that I can start up with io-pkt and access using a different socket 
using SOCK.

What I am unclear about is the interface required to write the driver - there is a document (Apparently) with the source
, but I am an unable to download the source - I'm not sure what permissions I need. 

Is what I am trying to do crazy? Is there a way of obtaining the description of the interface that is required? 

Will I be able to connect a USB driver to the network driver and tell it to create a network interface that I can then 
use? 

Any help would be appreciated...

Re: CDC ECM Driver  
> What I am unclear about is the interface required to write the driver - there is a document (Apparently) with the 
source, but I am an unable to download the source - I'm not sure what permissions I need.

This is likely because 
http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.community/wiki/UpdatedQNXSourceAccessPolicyFAQ

You'd find the sample driver in lib/io-pkt/sys/dev_qnx/sample and 
document in lib/io-pkt/sys/dev_qnx/doc. You might want to have a look at 
other drivers too for reference...

/P
Re: CDC ECM Driver  
Hi,

Are there any examples I can see WITHOUT having to download the source for the whole stack? 

I'm not interested in the source of the stack, but would like to see some examples. (At the moment I'm waiting for the 
access form to go through the company's legal department, but that may take time.)

Are there any available? It seems crazy to have to get the source of the whole thing to work out how to use it.