Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest: (5 Items)

Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest  
Hello, 

We have been using io-pkt for a while, and now it is time to look for an integration with the latest release build; I 
have also tried and encounter some problems, here are my questions:

1. Is Milestone 3 the latest stable release? what about M5 and M6?

2. What is the revision number for M3? is it Rev.468? 

3. I have downloaded M3 and trunk #468; and have compiled my code with minor modification, the compilation went through;
 I also loaded all the libs and executable onto the target and have then correctly pointed; here is the running result 
while my program trying to call l2_packet_init() :
pcap_open_live: BIOCSETIF: ath0: Invalid argument
ifname='ath0'

it seems like interface ath0 has not been attached; but I dont know why and how;
could anyone lend a hand?

4. I did not rebuild the network stack as I dont have debug port on my board so I have to ship it back to our customer 
for re-flashing, pls. let me know if re-build and re-flashing is necessary; ?

5. I'd also like to know if there are big changes regarding interface and/or architecture from Rev151 to Rev468 that 
will effect the old code; 

6. And your suggestion to pursuit this upgrading; (my code includes wpa_supplicant and a manager program running on top 
of it)

I'd appreciate any input/help;
Regards,
Shannon

RE: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest  
Hi Shannon:  

The builds for the last three months have pretty much all been stable.  Milestone 3 is being provided as a convenience 
so that people don't have to do a complete build themselves.  I don't know what you mean by M5 and M6 with respect to 
networking.  I know that we have core OS milestone builds that are M5 and M6, but these aren't relevant to networking.

M3 is slightly before Rev468 (I'll have to check the build times to let you know the exact revision.  We normally create
 a tag with each milestone build, but that was unfortunately skipped with this build.  We'll correct it for the next 
build in September).  The changes that have gone in since M3 should be minor though so Rev 468 is fine to use.

3. I have downloaded M3 and trunk #468; and have compiled my code with minor modification, the compilation went through;
 I also loaded all the libs and executable onto the target and have then correctly pointed; here is the running result 
while my program trying to call l2_packet_init() :
pcap_open_live: BIOCSETIF: ath0: Invalid argument
ifname='ath0'

it seems like interface ath0 has not been attached; but I dont know why and how;
could anyone lend a hand?

You also *MUST* recompile your Atheros driver within the new source bsdr.  Many structures have had additional members /
 padding added which would mean that a driver built with an earlier rev of source will not work.

If you've already done this and it still doesn't work, "ifconfig" will tell you if the interface exists or not and "
sloginfo" might provide additional information as to what has failed.

4. I did not rebuild the network stack as I dont have debug port on my board so I have to ship it back to our customer 
for re-flashing, pls. let me know if re-build and re-flashing is necessary; ?

I'm not sure I understand this.  Are you using the networking stack that's in milestone 3?  If not, why would you link 
your application against it? If you want to upgrade appropriately, then ALL networking binaries (the stack, libraries 
and applications) need to be upgraded to Milestone 3.  You can take the binaries from milestone 3 without re-building.

5. I'd also like to know if there are big changes regarding interface and/or architecture from Rev151 to Rev468 that 
will effect the old code; 

The architecture hasn't changed so if you're dealing strictly with the application layer, then you're likely OK.  
However, ANYTHING that requires direct interaction with the stack (drivers, etc.) must be re-built with the new source 
code in place in order to pick up the newer headers.

If you want to get an idea about what's changed, you can browse all of the changes that have gone in since 151 through 
the SVN web interface.  There are quite a few...

6. And your suggestion to pursuit this upgrading; (my code includes wpa_supplicant and a manager program running on top 
of it)

Make sure that you use the complete set of binaries from Milestone 3 in your image.  This will ensure full compatibility
 between the binaries

Hope this helps,
       Robert.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 8/14/2008 8:20 PM
To: builds-networking
Subject: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest

Hello, 

We have been using io-pkt for a while, and now it is time to look for an integration with the latest release build; I 
have also tried and encounter some problems, here are my questions:

I also loaded all the libs and executable onto the target and have then correctly pointed; here is the running result..
View Full Message
Attachment: Text winmail.dat 4.72 KB
Re: RE: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest  
Hi  Robert.

Thank you so much for your prompt and thorough reply, it is very help and exactly what we need to know.

My best regards,
Shannon 
Re: RE: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest  
Hi Robert,

Now I got a complete M3 image on the board, with core_networking shows the version number 470 -- is this OK? Can I use 
headers from source code that checked out from tunk/branches/BX640_23212_M6  with reivision 470 to compile my program?

Thanks,
Shannon
RE: RE: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest  
Hi Shannon:
	That branch should be OK (and the trunk should also work for
you), but you still have to do a make install to put all the headers in
the right place to get picked up by your application.

I've just put in a build request for a Milestone 4, so if you want to
hold off a bit, you can get the latest and greatest.  Should be posted
in a couple of days.

Robert.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 1:52 PM
To: builds-networking
Subject: Re: RE: Upgrading core_networking from Rev 151 to the latest

Hi Robert,

Now I got a complete M3 image on the board, with core_networking shows
the version number 470 -- is this OK? Can I use headers from source code
that checked out from tunk/branches/BX640_23212_M6  with reivision 470