Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Multimedia Streaming Application in QNX: (12 Items)

Multimedia Streaming Application in QNX  
Hi

I have to build a multimedia streaming application (non-commercial) to run on QNX RTOS. Since, it wouldn't be feasible 
for us to get a commercial license for the MM Suite, we are planning to build it from the source code released on the 
community website.

The problem is that to build the latest version from the source code, I need QNX 6.4 or greater, but QNX SDP 6.4.x for 
Neutrino Hosts does not have the IDE. The evaluation version does contain the IDE but is licensed for 30 days only. One 
of the options I was considering was to install the SDP for Windows Hosts (which contains the IDE), build the MM suite 
on windows and then transfer it to QNX 6.3. 
Is this possible?

What is the best way to get around this problem?

Thanks,
Seraph

Re: Multimedia Streaming Application in QNX  
Or would it be better to  build the MM suite source code directly on to the QNX 6.3 RTOS?
In the General Multimedia forum group there is a thread started about building on 6.3.0. You should have a look, the 
title of the thread is "Multimedia Suite". Here is a link:
http://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.multimedia/discussion.general.topc12294

Regards,
Gilles
Hi Seraph,

I recommend getting yourself a 6.4.1 license.  Does this suit your needs?

http://www.qnx.com/products/evaluation/non-commercial_developer.html

Dan
Hi Dan

Okay. I will download QNX 6.4. However, it would not have the IDE. Do u think the IDE would be important for the 
application I am designing or would a text editor be sufficient?

Regards,
Seraph
A text editor would be sufficient. You can also also setup a "target" box with QNX 6.4 self hosted (for testing) but 
build and debug from a windows or linux machine (you need to install the QNX 6.4 tools on your host machine as well). 
This way you will have the IDE.

Gilles
Hi Giles

Are you suggesting to download the QNX momentics tool suite 6.4 for windows and build the MM suite on both windows and 
QNX...do all the coding there and setup a Neutrino OS viirtually where I would do the testing?

Regards,
Seraph
> Are you suggesting to download the QNX momentics tool suite 6.4 for windows 
> and build the MM suite on both windows and QNX...do all the coding there and 
> setup a Neutrino OS viirtually where I would do the testing?

If the IDE is important to you, you can do a "host" install on Windows (i.e. IDE and tools) and install only the QNX 
runtime on an x86 machine or in a virtual machine. Then you do all of your compilation/building on Windows. You don't 
build the MM suite on Neutrino at all, you just run/debug your binaries there.

The IDE gives you can easy way to move over the binaries and to launch/debug binaries from the Windows host into the QNX
 target.

Regards,
Gilles
Hi Giles

I tried to build the MM suite on Windows as you suggested. For getting the source code, we need to use the svn command. 
I noticed that there are zip files on subversion for windows for the source code of the operating system. Are there zip 
files that contain the multimedia source code as well?

Regards,
Seraph 
> I tried to build the MM suite on Windows as you suggested. For getting the 
> source code, we need to use the svn command. I noticed that there are zip 
> files on subversion for windows for the source code of the operating system. 
> Are there zip files that contain the multimedia source code as well?

No, I think you need to check it out with SVN. There is probably a way to use SVN with IDE as well to check out the 
source code.

I actually build on the command line, and then export my build area and stage over CIFS/NFS. Then on the QNX target I 
mount this shared folder and run a script to set my environment (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH) so that it uses those 
binaries. Then I have a script that starts all the multimedia binaries.

Regards,
Gilles

Hi Giles

I did try to build on the command line but it says the svn is not recognized. 

Regards,
Seraph
> I did try to build on the command line but it says the svn is not recognized. 

I don't use Windows, so I am only of limited help here.

You might need to install SVN separately if it didn't come with the QNX host side tools. You could also use the IDE to 
check out the sources. Maybe post in a more general forum on the foundry (more users are monitoring so more chances of 
getting help), as this particular svn issue has nothing to do with Multimedia.

Regards,
Gillles