Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - MME Startup - Device Autodetection: (2 Items)

MME Startup - Device Autodetection  
Hi all,

if I understood the documentation correctly, I could disable the device autodetection by setting the parameter <
DeviceDetection> within the mme.conf to 'false'.

Nevertheless the MME still detects all the devices after setting it to 'false'.
Is there any other parameter which has to be configured?

Version: QNX Aviage Multimedia Suite 1.2

General Questions:
- The autodetection has manally to be enabled only once during the startup?
- Is there another mechanism to prevent the loss of events from the type MME_EVENT_MS_STATECHANGE?
- Would you recommend  to use/not to use the autodetection of the MME?
- Could the client application already read information out of the table mediastores 
without getting a MME_EVENT_MS_STATECHANGE?

Background:
In some scenarios the MME could  be started earlier than the component reading/handling the MME events.

Thanks a lot,
Sebastian

Re: MME Startup - Device Autodetection  
> if I understood the documentation correctly, I could disable the device 
> autodetection by setting the parameter <DeviceDetection> within the mme.conf to 'false'.
> 
> Nevertheless the MME still detects all the devices after setting it to 'false'
> .
> Is there any other parameter which has to be configured?

No there should be no other configuration needed. If you start the mme-generic process with -vvvv you should see in the 
logs all of the configuration values it sets. Look for the DeviceDetection in those logs.

Of note, the default start is commented out, so even if you change the enabled to "false" you still have to uncomment 
the xml element.

> Version: QNX Aviage Multimedia Suite 1.2
> 
> General Questions:
> - The autodetection has manally to be enabled only once during the startup?

Yes, you call mme_start_device_detection() just once (normally after you have registered for events)

> - Is there another mechanism to prevent the loss of events from the type 
> MME_EVENT_MS_STATECHANGE?

The only other thing you could do is once you have connected to the MME and registered for events, you could look at the
 state of the mediastores table and update against what you thought your current state was.

> - Would you recommend  to use/not to use the autodetection of the MME?
> - Could the client application already read information out of the table 
> mediastores 
> without getting a MME_EVENT_MS_STATECHANGE?

I think the client application can do this. I suppose if your system is based on a state machine some might find it 
easier to delay device detection and process all of the events that come in when it is started? Nothing comes to mind 
that would *require* delayed device detection, all of the info is available in the mediastores table.

Regards,
Gilles

> Background:
> In some scenarios the MME could  be started earlier than the component reading
> /handling the MME events.
> 
> Thanks a lot,
> Sebastian
>