Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - How to wait for mme events in code?: (4 Items)

How to wait for mme events in code?  
Hi all,

I'm wondering how to best wait for MME events in my code using mme_get_event.
Is there a way to block until events are delivered or must I set up a timer as outlined in the MME Dev Guide in ch. 2? 
In the latter case, how to identify a suitable interval at which to trigger?

Best regards,
Thomas
Re: How to wait for mme events in code?  
> I'm wondering how to best wait for MME events in my code using mme_get_event.
> Is there a way to block until events are delivered or must I set up a timer as
>  outlined in the MME Dev Guide in ch. 2? In the latter case, how to identify a
>  suitable interval at which to trigger?

If you call mme_get_event() and there is no event waiting, you get a false event back with type MME_EVENT_NONE. You 
can't just block on the call.

The timer example is misleading, I don't think it is needed. If you talk about blocking, then you probably have a 
dedicated thread for event processing. In this case you can setup an event (say a pulse) and then  register that event 
with the MME. Then the thread can just enter a loop where it call mme_get_event() until MME_EVENT_NONE is returned, then
 the thread waits in MsgReceivePulse until it gets a pulse from the MME. Note that the thread should have a dedicated 
mme connection since you can't shared handle mme_connect() returns among threads. Or rather, you can share it, but you 
can't have two threads call into the MME at once using the same mme handle. 

Regards,
Gilles
Take a look at the mme_register_for_events( ) function which allows you to get notified when one or more events have 
been queued for you to recieve.  You can also look at mmecli.c for an example.
Thanks Gilles,

your proposal of using MsgReceivePulse to wait works.

@Dan: I already had that part correct, it was just how to make it behave blocking rather than a busy-loop :-)

Cheers,
Thomas