Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - Which files (other than source files) to check-in / commit / submit into revision control / Subversion / Perforce?: Page 1 of 3 (3 Items)

Which files (other than source files) to check-in / commit / submit into revision control / Subversion / Perforce?  
Hello,

I'm wondering which Eclipse files to check-in to revision control?

Terminology: For Subversion it's 'Commit', for Perforce it's 'Submit'; anyway, I'll use check-in in here.

------------------

When I was using command-line tools, it was simple: 

1. Check-in all files that I manually create (*.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.jam, *.mak, *.mk, ...).  Any files generated as part of
 the build (*.o, *.so, *.lib, ...) were not checked-in.

2. Before every check-in, do a 'make clean'.

3. The remaining files are files that either:
(a) Are in the repository, but not checked-out: do nothing
(b) Are in the repository, and checked-out: check them in
(c) Are not in the repository, i.e. newly created source files: add them and check them in
(d) Are not in the repository, but were temp files that are not needed.  Delete them.

Now, my workspace is *identical* to the repository.  Another user can check-out and 'make' - they will get identical 
results to me.

----------------------------

Currently, we're using Momentics 6.4.0.  Specifically, I have imported the i.MX35-3DS BSP, bsp-nto640-freescale-i.mx35-
3ds-trunk.zip, into the IDE.

I would like to know which files to check-in, and which files to leave out?
Please answer for both Perforce, Subversion, or any other SCM tool if you have experience with any of them.

Perforce has a plug-in called P4WSAD: http://www.perforce.com/perforce/products/p4wsad.html which claims to "know" which
 files to check-in by reading your project metadata, in addition, you can tell it which files to exclude using a .
p4ignore file similar to .cvsignore.  *BUT* this plug-in is for the CDT, so I don't know if Momentics creates additional
 files that might not be recognized by Perforce.

For Subversion, any suggestions for which plug-in to use that would help with recognizing which files to check-in? 

==================

Another problem I have is the way the IDE imports the BSP.  If I simply unzip the BSP, I get a different directory tree 
than when I import it with the IDE.  My colleague upgraded the IDE to 4.6, and now when he imports the BSP, he gets yet 
another directory tree.  Is there any way that someone has discovered to keep these trees consistent with the repository
?

Why does QNX keep changing the directory tree? The manuals refer to the unzipped tree, but the IDE changes things on us.

Thanks!
Alain.