Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Can System Builder create a copy of a running QNX Target? Import? Script?: (4 Items)

Can System Builder create a copy of a running QNX Target? Import? Script?  
Hello,

is it possible (and how) to backup a target with system builder? I only have one target system to try things and i might
 need to revert the state. Which existing image files can be found and used? Also i would be glad if i could use some 
kind of "import from target" utility to select and modifiy some aspects of the system. Furthermore i wonder if this 
procedure could create some kind of sh script which could offer some last insights and a last chance to modify the 
process.

Regards,
OI

Re: Can System Builder create a copy of a running QNX Target? Import? Script?  
I'm confused a little bit with this question. Do you mean that you'd 
like to have the way to backup the current target state as an loadable 
image? If yes, SB cannot do something like that, and I don't know any 
utility in QNX for that. When you are talking about import from target, 
the first think that comes to my mind id Target File System Navigator. 
Is it what you are looking for. If no, I'd appreciate if you elaborate 
your request. About script: SB project also include .sh file which is 
visible  in the project tree, can be opened and edited. This script is 
the last set of instructions that startup launches after image being 
loaded. But this is not a specific part of SB as a tool, you can also do 
the same work using command line tools.

If I didn't answer to some of your questions, could you please specify 
them in more details.

Regards,

Alex

On 12/03/2009 5:37 AM, one infinite wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible (and how) to backup a target with system builder? I only have one target system to try things and i 
might need to revert the state. Which existing image files can be found and used? Also i would be glad if i could use 
some kind of "import from target" utility to select and modifiy some aspects of the system. Furthermore i wonder if this
 procedure could create some kind of sh script which could offer some last insights and a last chance to modify the 
process.
>
> Regards,
> OI
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post24198
>
>    
Hello Alex,

thank you for your response. To explain things further this knowledge is needed to adress 3 differing things. A. The 
System i want to preserve with the backup B. The Image for a USB device C. The full sized qnx image which will be 
written over the System named under A. 

If all this could be done with System Builder I would be glad.

A.
Well, the Target File System Navigator could be used to transfer the files but I then might have the problem with 
preserving the POSIX file permissions when I transfer it to Windows. Also some automation would be nice to have.

B + C
If the System Builder Script only executes after the Setup: Is it possible to execute a script before the setup of a new
 system to save a configuration file? (...)

Optimal would be if i could generate a script thats capable to do something like this:

1. boot up a small image on a usb device only containing the tools to trigger the next steps
2. tar all of our custom config files together and store it on the usb device
3. do the setup of the default qnx system
4. merge back our config
5. done :)

Maybe i'll have to build my own scripts then if System Builder lacks the support for script execution before the 
installation.

Then in either way some further Questions arise:

to 1. which drivers and which files do I have to include?

to 2. as long as a rc.local would start from the usb image - it should be possible, right?

to 3. how can i trigger a qnx default setup from this point and which files can i use for this purpose?

to 4. no problem from this point on since we have the scripting support anyways..

I guess these questions are not specific for System Builder. So maybe it 
is not a bad idea to try to find the answers for your questions in QNX 
documentation describing process of building embedded system using QNX 
tools. If you find some useful answers, we could return back to finding 
the ways of automation of the particular processes using SB.

See http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.0/neutrino/building/about.html

Regards,

Alex

On 12/03/2009 10:29 AM, one infinite wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> thank you for your response. To explain things further this knowledge is needed to adress 3 differing things. A. The 
System i want to preserve with the backup B. The Image for a USB device C. The full sized qnx image which will be 
written over the System named under A.
>
> If all this could be done with System Builder I would be glad.
>
> A.
> Well, the Target File System Navigator could be used to transfer the files but I then might have the problem with 
preserving the POSIX file permissions when I transfer it to Windows. Also some automation would be nice to have.
>
> B + C
> If the System Builder Script only executes after the Setup: Is it possible to execute a script before the setup of a 
new system to save a configuration file? (...)
>
> Optimal would be if i could generate a script thats capable to do something like this:
>
> 1. boot up a small image on a usb device only containing the tools to trigger the next steps
> 2. tar all of our custom config files together and store it on the usb device
> 3. do the setup of the default qnx system
> 4. merge back our config
> 5. done :)
>
> Maybe i'll have to build my own scripts then if System Builder lacks the support for script execution before the 
installation.
>
> Then in either way some further Questions arise:
>
> to 1. which drivers and which files do I have to include?
>
> to 2. as long as a rc.local would start from the usb image - it should be possible, right?
>
> to 3. how can i trigger a qnx default setup from this point and which files can i use for this purpose?
>
> to 4. no problem from this point on since we have the scripting support anyways..
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post24230
>
>