Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Looking for Suggestions for creating IDE project(s) from an existing code base: (2 Items)

Looking for Suggestions for creating IDE project(s) from an existing code base  
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience or suggestions for setting up a project within IDE 4.5 for an 
existing code base. Here are the details:

- Mix of C\C++ code
- About 40 processes and 60 shared libraries. Hierarchy is flat with each project or library in its own folder
- Build is makefile driven and done from the command-line.
- Buildifs is hand-edited
- Build system was based off of QNX 6.2.1 toolchain but has since been heavily customized - still use make, qcc and the 
lot but additional shell scripts and meta-data added as a workaround for something.

My immediate goal is to be able to build the existing source-code from within the IDE. I imagine that I would use the 
'Makefile' creation wizard. But should there be a project per process/shared library? If so, do process projects have to
 'reference' library projects? I've also come across the term 'containers', should I be using those too? Once this is 
done, can the project structure be shared by developers?

Sometime down the road, I would like to ditch our current build system and just have the IDE generate and manage all the
 build-related meta-data (makefiles, common.mk etc, buildifs, etc). Would it be easy to migrate the above project layout
 for this or would I be starting from scratch again with a new project wizard.

Thanks
Robert
Re: Looking for Suggestions for creating IDE project(s) from an existing code base  
Yes, you create a project per binary and per library. C/C++ Makefile project. Each project must have a Makefile on top 
level to build.
Binary projects should have dependency on library projects - which would
allow recompile in correct order or when something changes. You can use container to build group of projects together, 
you can add it later.
After you convert your projects IDE would create .project and .cproject inside the top folder. These files should be 
checked in source control.
Next time somebody whats to check out projects they just select a folder and eclipse would discover all projects in 
there and check them out with proper settings.

Robert D'Attilio wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could share their experience or suggestions for setting up a project within IDE 4.5 for an 
existing code base. Here are the details:
> 
> - Mix of C\C++ code
> - About 40 processes and 60 shared libraries. Hierarchy is flat with each project or library in its own folder
> - Build is makefile driven and done from the command-line.
> - Buildifs is hand-edited
> - Build system was based off of QNX 6.2.1 toolchain but has since been heavily customized - still use make, qcc and 
the lot but additional shell scripts and meta-data added as a workaround for something.
> 
> My immediate goal is to be able to build the existing source-code from within the IDE. I imagine that I would use the 
'Makefile' creation wizard. But should there be a project per process/shared library? If so, do process projects have to
 'reference' library projects? I've also come across the term 'containers', should I be using those too? Once this is 
done, can the project structure be shared by developers?
> 
> Sometime down the road, I would like to ditch our current build system and just have the IDE generate and manage all 
the build-related meta-data (makefiles, common.mk etc, buildifs, etc). Would it be easy to migrate the above project 
layout for this or would I be starting from scratch again with a new project wizard.
> 
> Thanks
> Robert
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post23757
>