Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX C++ Project: adding a custom build step: (14 Items)

QNX C++ Project: adding a custom build step  
With our products under Windows built using Visual Studio VC 6.0 we create state machine code with a proprietary Domain 
Specific Language. The source file for a state machine written in this DSL is included in the Visual Studio project and 
has a custom build step setup for it which runs the translation program that converts that DSL source to corresponding C
++ source and header files.

For example: say I have a state machine defined in Machine.smd

I want to run a command: TranslateSMD -source Machine.smd

which generates a set of files like:
    MachineEvent.h
    MachineState.h
    Machine.h
    Machine.inc

along with some automated documentation. These generated files are then included in regular C++ source and header files.

I want to use this same mechanism with our QNX code for Neutrino 6.4. I need to add a similar custom build step for a 
non C/C++ source file to a QNX C++ project (in Momentix 4.5.0). Unfortunately I don't see anything in the documentation 
about how to do it. Can somebody point me to an example?

Thanks
Dan
Re: QNX C++ Project: adding a custom build step  
We have POST_BUILD step definition in IDE, but don't have PRE_BUILD. 
Just because it wasn't requested s far. There is work around. In 
common.mk file for your project add definition of PRE_BUILD macro at the 
same way we create POST_BUILD definition:
define PRE_BUILD
< your statements>
endef

You can also create post_build section through IDE, then rename it to 
PRE_BUILD in common.mk.

On 16/02/2009 3:45 PM, Dan McCormick wrote:
> With our products under Windows built using Visual Studio VC 6.0 we create state machine code with a proprietary 
Domain Specific Language. The source file for a state machine written in this DSL is included in the Visual Studio 
project and has a custom build step setup for it which runs the translation program that converts that DSL source to 
corresponding C++ source and header files.
>
> For example: say I have a state machine defined in Machine.smd
>
> I want to run a command: TranslateSMD -source Machine.smd
>
> which generates a set of files like:
>      MachineEvent.h
>      MachineState.h
>      Machine.h
>      Machine.inc
>
> along with some automated documentation. These generated files are then included in regular C++ source and header 
files.
>
> I want to use this same mechanism with our QNX code for Neutrino 6.4. I need to add a similar custom build step for a 
non C/C++ source file to a QNX C++ project (in Momentix 4.5.0). Unfortunately I don't see anything in the documentation 
about how to do it. Can somebody point me to an example?
>
> Thanks
> Dan
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22319
>
>    
Thanks for the help but I'm having problems with the technique. The prebuild step does not execute consistently.

I will have short periods maybe as long as an hour when the build system will run it correctly when I build the project.
 Then something changes and it just ignores the PRE_BUILD section completely for long periods as long as several hours. 
Then something changes and again it executes the PRE_BUILD section for another short period.

I am at a loss of how to trouble shoot this. I find it very frustrating. Eclipse is proving to be an annoying hindrance 
rather than a productivity aid for me.

Dan
PRE_BUILD is qnx recursive make concept and has nothing to do with eclipse.
I am not sure why it is not working but maybe you can add extra target in the makefile to do what you need instead?

Dan McCormick wrote:
> Thanks for the help but I'm having problems with the technique. The prebuild step does not execute consistently.
> 
> I will have short periods maybe as long as an hour when the build system will run it correctly when I build the 
project. Then something changes and it just ignores the PRE_BUILD section completely for long periods as long as several
 hours. Then something changes and again it executes the PRE_BUILD section for another short period.
> 
> I am at a loss of how to trouble shoot this. I find it very frustrating. Eclipse is proving to be an annoying 
hindrance rather than a productivity aid for me.
> 
> Dan
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22437
> 
I place the following rule in common.mk

DeviceSM.h : DeviceSM.smd
	$(NRTTOOLPATH)/TranslateSMD -os QNX -v -wd "$(PROJECT_ROOT)" -source DeviceSM.smd

The target command is the same one that works those rare times that the PRE_BUILD method executes.

I make sure DeviceSM.h has been deleted.

I build the project. The rule never fires.

What do I need to do to have the build system run my command when DeviceSM.h is out of date relative to DeviceSM.smd?

Dan
You need some other target to be dependent on DeviceSM.h otherwise it won't be running.

Dan McCormick wrote:
> I place the following rule in common.mk
> 	
> DeviceSM.h : DeviceSM.smd
> 	$(NRTTOOLPATH)/TranslateSMD -os QNX -v -wd "$(PROJECT_ROOT)" -source DeviceSM.smd
> 
> The target command is the same one that works those rare times that the PRE_BUILD method executes.
> 
> I make sure DeviceSM.h has been deleted.
> 
> I build the project. The rule never fires.
> 
> What do I need to do to have the build system run my command when DeviceSM.h is out of date relative to DeviceSM.smd?
> 
> Dan
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22446
> 
When I add an additional target, so that I have...

Device.cpp : DeviceSM.h
	echo "dummy rule"

DeviceSM.h : DeviceSM.smd
	$(NRTTOOLPATH)/TranslateSMD -os QNX -v -wd "$(PROJECT_ROOT)" -source DeviceSM.smd

I get the following error:
	make[2]: *** No rule to make target `DeviceSM.smd', needed by `DeviceSM.h'.

Make doesn't need to do anything to make the target 'DeviceSM.smd' It's a self-contained text file that I provide. It is
 dependent upon nothing else.
Is it in the same directory where make works?

Dan McCormick wrote:
> When I add an additional target, so that I have...
> 
> Device.cpp : DeviceSM.h
> 	echo "dummy rule"
> 
> 	$(NRTTOOLPATH)/TranslateSMD -os QNX -v -wd "$(PROJECT_ROOT)" -source DeviceSM.smd
> 
> I get the following error:
> 	make[2]: *** No rule to make target `DeviceSM.smd', needed by `DeviceSM.h'.
> 
> Make doesn't need to do anything to make the target 'DeviceSM.smd' It's a self-contained text file that I provide. It 
is dependent upon nothing else.
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22457
> 
It's in the same PROJECT_ROOT directory with the rest of the source.

The rules are apparently not invoked until make has recursed down to the directory PROJECT_ROOT/x86/o.

Changing the targets to this works.

Device.cpp : DeviceSM.h ;

DeviceSM.h : ../../DeviceSM.smd

It seems a bit round-about but it appears to be working for now. Thanks for the help.

Dan
I am not a makefile expert but this seems to work

SRCDIR=src

all: prepare $(SRCDIR)/file.h

prepare:
         -rm $(SRCDIR)/file.h

$(SRCDIR)/%.h: $(SRCDIR)/%.smd
         cat $<  > $@

Where you can replace "cat" with your command, $< is input, i.e. file.smd and $@ is output i.e. file.h

Dan McCormick wrote:
> When I add an additional target, so that I have...
> 
> Device.cpp : DeviceSM.h
> 	echo "dummy rule"
> 
> 
> I get the following error:
> 	make[2]: *** No rule to make target `DeviceSM.smd', needed by `DeviceSM.h'.
> 
> Make doesn't need to do anything to make the target 'DeviceSM.smd' It's a self-contained text file that I provide. It 
is dependent upon nothing else.
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22457
> 
Hi Elena,

I was able to get this solution to work and work reliably by using the following...

SRCDIR=../..

all: prepare $(SRCDIR)/DeviceSM.h

prepare:
	 rm -f $(SRCDIR)/DeviceSM.h

$(SRCDIR)/DeviceSM.h: $(SRCDIR)/DeviceSM.smd

I suppose the only part of this solution that might be brittle is setting SRCDIR to ../.. but as long as you folks don't
 alter the directory layout for projects it ought to be okay.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
That's another story. BesidesPRE_BUILD, you have to add one more macro: 
EXTRA_DEPS+=DeviceSM.smd

On 18/02/2009 10:35 AM, Dan McCormick wrote:
> Thanks for the help but I'm having problems with the technique. The prebuild step does not execute consistently.
>
> I will have short periods maybe as long as an hour when the build system will run it correctly when I build the 
project. Then something changes and it just ignores the PRE_BUILD section completely for long periods as long as several
 hours. Then something changes and again it executes the PRE_BUILD section for another short period.
>
> I am at a loss of how to trouble shoot this. I find it very frustrating. Eclipse is proving to be an annoying 
hindrance rather than a productivity aid for me.
>
> Dan
>
>
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22437
>
>    
Alex,

Afraid it's not working for me. I added the macro EXTRA_DEPS+=DeviceSM.smd

That resulted in following errors.

make[2]: *** [devu_xmca.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `DeviceSM.smd', needed by `C:/users/dan/OPC_Code/QNX/devu_xmca/x86/o/devu_xmca'.
make[2]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/users/dan/OPC_Code/QNX/devu_xmca/x86/o'

Tried a variant to account for being two levels down from the actual project root (EXTRA_DEPS+=../../DeviceSM.smd). No 
errors generated about the target 'DeviceSM.smd' but the build process again ignores the entire PRE_BUILD step.

Dan
It is path problems again. If you add full path just to prove this point it would probably work.

I suggest use target dependency, since you made it work already.

Dan McCormick wrote:
> Alex,
> 
> Afraid it's not working for me. I added the macro EXTRA_DEPS+=DeviceSM.smd
> 
> That resulted in following errors.
> 
> make[2]: *** [devu_xmca.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `DeviceSM.smd', needed by `C:/users/dan/OPC_Code/QNX/devu_xmca/x86/o/devu_xmca'.
> make[2]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/users/dan/OPC_Code/QNX/devu_xmca/x86/o'
> 
> Tried a variant to account for being two levels down from the actual project root (EXTRA_DEPS+=../../DeviceSM.smd). No
 errors generated about the target 'DeviceSM.smd' but the build process again ignores the entire PRE_BUILD step.
> 
> Dan
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post22473
>