Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - using svn/momentics for more complex project structures?: (2 Items)

using svn/momentics for more complex project structures?  
Hi,

we have a project structure where several tools/resource managers run on several CPUs. Example:

CPU1:
- BSP
- Application 1
- Application 3
- Resource Manager X

CPU2:
- BSP
- Application 1
- Application 2
- Resource Manager X
- Resource Manager Y

I'd group the svn tree according in the following way:
- sys: contains BSPs
- drv: contains basic resource managers offering services
- app: contains more high level applications

Now of course I need to check out the projects in the right combination, throw in the right bsh script for starting it 
all up, maybe add some additional files, and pack it all into an IFS (for example).
How can I do this automatically?
And how do you share the header files and make sure they are found?

It goes even a step further, I'd like to automatically package several generated IFS images and other files into one 
firmware package for update distribution. This also should work as a one-step-process without any elaborate "and then I 
copy this here and this there...". Ideally it should be possible to set up a build server some time in the future.

There are quite some svn tutorials on basic function of svn out there, but non really describes how to tackle those more
 elaborate issues.

Anyone willing to share how you're going this effectively?

Thanks & Greetings,
 Marc 
Re: using svn/momentics for more complex project structures?  
Marc,

First of all, your problem is not unique as there are other users asking the similar questions. In fact, we are working 
on a new feature in the next release of Momentics IDE to ease the source check-out and project creation side of the 
problem. You are welcome to comment in this wiki page on the feature

http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.ide/wiki/F27IntegrationDesignDoc

Now go back to your specific questions:

1) How can I do this automatically? (checking our source)

You can use the Eclipse Team Project Settings File (PSF). You can create a reference workspace, check out the correct 
source tree (BSP, ResMgr, App) and create build-able projects from the source checkout. Then you select your project, 
export them as a Team Project Set file. You share your PSF file with your team so they can simply "import" from this PSF
 and get the right source tree check-out.

2) And how do you share the header files and make sure they are found?

Same as the above steps. Header files are either in your "stage" directory - where you have Momentics SDP installed, or 
for your own header files you can create a reference project holding header files and setup the project dependency. You 
then check-in the reference project and include it in your PSF.

3) Automatically package several IFS images and other files into one firmware package?

I am not sure if this can be done without an automated build setup. This is a question on the product release and it 
almost requires a formal build. But for your experimental works you can use Eclipse ANT script and create a launch 
configuration to run the ANT packaging script after your build your projects. You might be able to automate your full 
project build using ANT too.

Hope this helps,
Andy