Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Generated makefile for building static libraries is broken: (3 Items)

Generated makefile for building static libraries is broken  
Hi,

I just downloaded the QNX Software Development Platform 6.4.0 and ran straight into a bug:

When building a static library using the Gnu Make Builder, no object files are built and the library is essentially 
empty. This behavior is obviously due to an omission in the generated top-level makefile. The rule for making the 
library file reads (echo's omitted for clarity):

libsomething.a: 
	qcc  -A libsomething.a  -V4.2.4,gcc_ntox86_cpp -w1

Compare this to the rule generated for shared libraries:

libsomething.so: $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS)
	qcc  -o libsomething.so $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS) $(LIBS) -V4.2.4,gcc_ntox86_cpp -w1 -lang-c++ -shared

Clearly, the prerequisites are missing in both the rule and the command. Since I depend on a makefile infrastructure, a 
bug fix / workaround would be highly appreciated. And sorry, a QNX project is no viable workaround for me, since the 
makefiles should remain somewhat human-readable. :-)

Thorsten
Re: Generated makefile for building static libraries is broken  
Thanks for submitting this problem, we entered it in the internal database (Ref id #62633) and will be looking into this
 asap.

Thorsten Ko"ster wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I just downloaded the QNX Software Development Platform 6.4.0 and ran straight into a bug:
> 
> When building a static library using the Gnu Make Builder, no object files are built and the library is essentially 
empty. This behavior is obviously due to an omission in the generated top-level makefile. The rule for making the 
library file reads (echo's omitted for clarity):
> 
> libsomething.a: 
> 	qcc  -A libsomething.a  -V4.2.4,gcc_ntox86_cpp -w1
> 
> Compare this to the rule generated for shared libraries:
> 
> libsomething.so: $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS)
> 	qcc  -o libsomething.so $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS) $(LIBS) -V4.2.4,gcc_ntox86_cpp -w1 -lang-c++ -shared
> 
> Clearly, the prerequisites are missing in both the rule and the command. Since I depend on a makefile infrastructure, 
a bug fix / workaround would be highly appreciated. And sorry, a QNX project is no viable workaround for me, since the 
makefiles should remain somewhat human-readable. :-)
> 
> Thorsten
> 
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post15842
> 
Re: Generated makefile for building static libraries is broken  
We found the problem and fixed this issue, fix will be available in IDE 4.5.1, first integration build is scheduled for 
Nov 4th 2008. 
See also http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.ide/wiki/WhatIsNewIn4.5.1