Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Managing projects: (2 Items)

Managing projects  
Hi,
I am trying to manage some projects within the IDE workspace.

I thought I could handle them through Container projects, but this doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought.

For example, each of my projects will contain a QNX-C-Project named IPC. The problem now is, that the different customer
-projects will all contain this IPC, but in different versions, branches etc.

I now think I need to set up a complete working space for each customer-project, or is there a better way? Whenever I 
create a new Workspace, I need to adjust all settings (i.e. Syntax-Highlighting, Indexer Settings, ...) from scratch.

Isn't there a way to set up a Workspace from a "template"?

This would make it quite easy then to handle the different customer-projects.

Regards,
Christian
Re: Managing projects  
Hi, Christian,

Workspaces are generally quite portable.  I, myself, like to apply the same settings in all of my workspaces, for 
different roles and different branches.  The way that I do it is to create an empty workspace as a template and 
configure all of my preferences, including workbench layout, compiler settings, source repositories, task/bug 
repositories, etc.  I don't create any projects in the workspace.

Then, I archive the .metadata folder in a ZIP file or some such.  Any time I want to create a new workspace, I just 
create a folder and unarchive the .metadata into it.  Then, it's ready to go.

Note, also, that you can check out as many branches of the same project as you need in a single workspace, if you like. 
 Just check them out into different-named projects (e.g., IPC_trunk, IPC_m5, etc.) and set the NAME variable in the 
common.mk of each to the same logical project name ("IPC" in your case).  You can do that in the "QNX C/C++ Projects" 
property page, in the "General" tab.  Two things to note with this approach, though:  (a) it is slightly awkward if the 
.project file is maintained in source control, as the method relies on changing the name of the project on check-out; 
(b) any dependencies on the project from other projects would have to use the local workspace names (branch-encoded) of 
the projects, which isn't so nice if those dependent projects are shared (the names would end up in their common.mk, for
 example).

Overall, your best strategy is probably to use a different workspace for each branch.  It's easiest to stay out of SCM 
trouble that way.

HTH,

Christian

On 17/02/10 01:41 AM, Christian Reinecke wrote: 

Hi,
	I am trying to manage some projects within the IDE workspace.

I thought I could handle them through Container projects, but this doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought.

For example, each of my projects will contain a QNX-C-Project named IPC. The problem now is, that the different 
customer-projects will all contain this IPC, but in different versions, branches etc.

I now think I need to set up a complete working space for each customer-project, or is there a better way? Whenever I 
create a new Workspace, I need to adjust all settings (i.e. Syntax-Highlighting, Indexer Settings, ...) from scratch.

Isn't there a way to set up a Workspace from a "template"?

This would make it quite easy then to handle the different customer-projects.

Regards,
	Christian

General
	http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post47470

-- 
Christian W. Damus
Software Developer, IDE Team
QNX Software Systems <http://www.qnx.com/>;