Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - issues with blink attribute for text in photon terminal: (4 Items)

issues with blink attribute for text in photon terminal  
Hi photon experts,

I have an issue with showing blinking text in a terminal application in Photon environment.

The program was ported from QNX4 to QNX6.50SP1 using the library "libqnxterm.a" .
It was programmed for normal console at first . Since QNX4 it is running in a simple photon-app which uses the photon-
widget "PtTty" with QNX4 terminal protocol (TERM=qnxm) .

Changing the background color and foreground color works fine. Setting the blink attribute for term_type-function 
doesn't cause the text to blink .
By using the debugger I can see that in the global structure term_state the attribute for the text was changed in scrbuf

Testing with pterm:
1. Changing manually the blink attribute for text by using an escape sequence " echo "\033{" " (termcap for qnxm-
environment) even doesn't make the text blink in pterm using devc-pty. The background color is changed to grey instead!

2. A second program with almost the same sources as the first program shows blinking text, but only when the size of the
 pterm window  is set to the same char dimension as the program.

3. A third simple test program writing some text with attributes with term_type doesn't show blinking text in pterm 
windows. The other attributes like underine , highlight and inverse are working.

Testing with console:
1. Blinking text works for devc-con-hid with escape sequence as well as with the test-program using libqnxterm.

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance 
Re: issues with blink attribute for text in photon terminal  
Update:
I figured out, that libqnxterm is not capable using the blink attribute. It seems there's no direct connection of the 
framebuffer of the library and the pseudo terminal of photon . The program I use has an process which is responsible for
 active blinking. So there was a timing issue responsible for the lost of the blinking text .
The Photon terminal does not support blinking.  It does recognize the corresponding escape sequences that libqnxterm 
sends to it, and even stores a "blinking" bit in its internal attributes, but there's no code in there to periodically 
find all the characters marked as "blinking" and redraw them with different colours.

> Update:
> I figured out, that libqnxterm is not capable using the blink attribute. It 
> seems there's no direct connection of the framebuffer of the library and the 
> pseudo terminal of photon . The program I use has an process which is 
> responsible for active blinking. So there was a timing issue responsible for 
> the lost of the blinking text .

Thanks for the information.

That's why in devc-con it's working ? ;)

The program I use has its own redrawing process for blinking text. And there was a timing issue. So it was partially 
working. Finally, I found a sollution.

In fact, the escape sequences are not working in pterm. But that's not important for me anymore.