Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Font compatibility(?) issues.: Page 1 of 2 (11 Items)

Font compatibility(?) issues.  
Hi!

I've spend some time to find out what way I can add Asian symbols to our device. Basically we use PrimaSans BT (tt2001m_
.ttf) as our base font now and we want to use it for European languages (Latinic/Cyrillic symbols). For new Asian 
languages we have to use another font file and 'merge' them together by 'fontext' file.

Experimenting with this I found out that not all fonts are combinable this way. E.g. I can combine PrimaSans BT 
(tt2001m_.ttf) and SquareGothicMd BT (TT5500M_.TTF) and both Latinic from PrimaSans BT and Chinese from SquareGothicMd 
BT are rendered well in a single string output (in Photon program). But when I try to add one of Korean fonts from 
Windows to show Hangul symbols additionally to what I have, they are rendered as blank boxes (which means no symbol 
available).

So, what do we have:
- PrimaSans BT (tt2001m_.ttf) from Bitstream Inc. BASE FONT
- HonMinchoBT-Roman (TT5200M_.TTF) from Bitstream Inc. WORKS
- SquareGothicMd BT (TT5500M_.TTF) from Bitstream Inc. WORKS
- GulimChe.ttf from HanYang Systems Co. Ltd. WORKS NOT
- Arial Unicode MS (ArialUni.ttf) from Agfa Monotype Corp. WORKS NOT
- MalgunGothicRegular (malgun.ttf) from Microsoft Corp. WORKS NOT

After all my experiments I found out that other fonts from Bitstream Inc. are seems to be combinable with PrimaSans BT 
but not fonts form other vendors...

(!!!!) If I put one of 'non combinable' fonts instead of PrimaSans BT in 'fontmap' it renders well, but it's not when I 
put it to 'fontext' after PrimaSans BT. (!!!!)

What could be a reason? It can be something wrong with my configuration too... But how to fix it then? And if it's 
rendering engine related issue, how to avoid this incompatibility of fonts?

Thanks in advance!

WBR,
AG
Re: Font compatibility(?) issues.  
What version of QNX are you using?
Sorry! It's 6.3.2 ARMLE for now.
If I remember correctly there was a bug in the way phfont was looking for "missing" characters. I believe the this bug 
was fixed in 6.4.x and 6.5.0.

The work-around is to use the actual font stems in your widgets, rather then using the phfont's missing chars resolution
 (fontext).
> If I remember correctly there was a bug in the way phfont was looking for "
> missing" characters. I believe the this bug was fixed in 6.4.x and 6.5.0.
> 
> The work-around is to use the actual font stems in your widgets, rather then 
> using the phfont's missing chars resolution (fontext).

So you mean I have to create second font alias name and switch names when I do switch language..

Like:
TextFont = primasansbts
AsianFont = superasianfonts

And in case when language is switched to Asian one I should use AsianFont10 instead of TextFont10 and so on?
This would be a way too. I meant to use the Pt_ARG_FONT with correct font stem on your widgets.
> If I remember correctly there was a bug in the way phfont was looking for "
> missing" characters. I believe the this bug was fixed in 6.4.x and 6.5.0.
> 
> The work-around is to use the actual font stems in your widgets, rather then 
> using the phfont's missing chars resolution (fontext).

During my experiments I've noticed one more thing: when I put some *.ttc (truetype collection) files from Windows7 to 
QNX font directory and run 'mkfontdir -d blah-blah' it crashes badly and generates no valide 'fontdir' file. Basically 
TTC's were initially created for Asian market because of ability to minimize resulting font file size (at least 
wikipedia says so). So it's quite a common thing that Asian fonts a packed as TTC. As I remember this effect is valid 
even for 6.5.0. Can you comment it somehow? May be I use somehow wrong TTC or so?

Thanks!
I can't tell without having the TTC files.
I recommend using the official support channel for this. 
> I can't tell without having the TTC files.
> I recommend using the official support channel for this. 

The TTCs described before were simply taken from Windows 7 sp1 pro for test purposes.
There are several of huge TTCs with Asian symbols. I've tested only few of them (with Korean Hungil symbol set only):
- batang.ttc
- gulim.ttc
I'll not attach them here because of their size.

Both have shown total incompatibility with my test native QNX installation on VM. May be I do something wrong with them.
.. after I put them to /usr/photon/font_repository the 'mkfontdir' utility crashed after long agony. After this I've 
tried several other TTCs from Win7 with the same result. Ooooops.

As far I'm only scouting the path now, I'll not go through official support channel with this small problem.
I only want to know, can I potentially use TTCs in our device or not...

WBR,
AG
Try contacting Bitsteam. The may have an evaluation font pack -- that is very likely to work properly on QNX.