Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Font preview tool: (5 Items)

Font preview tool  
Hi!

I need to choose one of (or several) fonts we receive for further device localization for Asian markets...

I'm looking for a comfortable way to preview fonts. Is there some font preview tool for QNX (6.3.2) which I can use to 
preview font files, something like windows font previewer?

Thanks in advance!

WBR,
AG
RE: Font preview tool  
try to see if you have 'fontview' on your install ... you use the arrow keys with it, it only shows one codepoint at a 
time ...
if the file is a TTF, you can always it to a windows box to use with ms font preview, though the rendering will not be 
100% identical,
but close enough ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Golovnia [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Sent: January 24, 2012 11:15 AM
To: photon-graphics
Subject: Font preview tool

Hi!

I need to choose one of (or several) fonts we receive for further device localization for Asian markets...

I'm looking for a comfortable way to preview fonts. Is there some font preview tool for QNX (6.3.2) which I can use to 
preview font files, something like windows font previewer?

Thanks in advance!

WBR,
AG

Photon microGUI
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post91103
Re: RE: Font preview tool  
Hi!

> try to see if you have 'fontview' on your install ... you use the arrow keys 
> with it, it only shows one codepoint at a time ...
> if the file is a TTF, you can always it to a windows box to use with ms font 
> preview, though the rendering will not be 100% identical,
> but close enough ...

Thanks for info. In 6.3.2 I have found this 'fontview' tool. It is not exactly what I need but also quite helpful. I 
would rather be happier to see a complete font in form of a table with all available glyphs or so... Some kind of 
preview tool I can make from Text Editor but it is also not a perfect solution for me, because I have to install the TTF
 in the system before I can use one in Text Editor...

Funny why this 'fontview' is tool missing in 6.5.0?

Actually I have to render my test texts w/o anti-aliasing because of specific kind of or target display. So, previewing 
of TTFs on Windows is not a best solution for me. I have to choose a font that will be good (best, excellent, brilliant)
 readable in QNX in small sizes (what is for Asian languages in nearly not possible). Unfortunately not all TTFs I have 
tried so far are rendered good in QNX w/ size of about 10 and w/ deactivated anti-aliasing. Oops. So I need an easy 
usable and informative preview tool.
RE: RE: Font preview tool  
Yes, not the same as you want, but the only option I was aware of.
fontview was deprecated, cannot recall the reason, I _believe_ there
where changes to the global symbols that were exposed to applications,
so that could explain it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Golovnia [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Sent: January 24, 2012 1:28 PM
To: photon-graphics
Subject: Re: RE: Font preview tool

Hi!

> try to see if you have 'fontview' on your install ... you use the 
> arrow keys with it, it only shows one codepoint at a time ...
> if the file is a TTF, you can always it to a windows box to use with 
> ms font preview, though the rendering will not be 100% identical, but 
> close enough ...

Thanks for info. In 6.3.2 I have found this 'fontview' tool. It is not exactly what I need but also quite helpful. I 
would rather be happier to see a complete font in form of a table with all available glyphs or so... Some kind of 
preview tool I can make from Text Editor but it is also not a perfect solution for me, because I have to install the TTF
 in the system before I can use one in Text Editor...

Funny why this 'fontview' is tool missing in 6.5.0?

Actually I have to render my test texts w/o anti-aliasing because of specific kind of or target display. So, previewing 
of TTFs on Windows is not a best solution for me. I have to choose a font that will be good (best, excellent, brilliant)
 readable in QNX in small sizes (what is for Asian languages in nearly not possible). Unfortunately not all TTFs I have 
tried so far are rendered good in QNX w/ size of about 10 and w/ deactivated anti-aliasing. Oops. So I need an easy 
usable and informative preview tool.

Photon microGUI
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post91109
Re: RE: RE: Font preview tool  
> Yes, not the same as you want, but the only option I was aware of.
> fontview was deprecated, cannot recall the reason, I _believe_ there
> where changes to the global symbols that were exposed to applications,
> so that could explain it.

Thanks! I'll try to write a primitive test application for my purposes. Unfortunately I can't use Text Editor as a test 
tool because I noticed strange bug that appears if I put some foreign fonts to QNX. E.g. if I put ArialUnicodeMS 
(ARIALUNI.TTF) from Windows7 QNX 6.3.2 and try to select this font for a test text I prepared in Text Editor it works, 
but if I try to apply BOLD mode to it and set to regular after this the test text stays BOLD. It only goes to regular if
 I switch font or select italic mode. I assume it's a bug in Text Editor...

WBR,
AG