Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x: (6 Items)

GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
I am trying to get OpenGL ES 2.0 to run on an iMX51 board.  I can run egl-gears on the board and I can build my own 
OpenGL ES 1.x app as long as I use the gl_ api and use the gf3d target stuff.  However I thought this changed in 6.5 and
 I did not have to use the gf API any longer?  I then tried to build a 2.0 version of egl-gears but it just fails to run
 saying that it can't find a eglConfig.  Are there any sample applications for 2.0 and instructions on how to configure 
GL and build them?  I also downloaded a SGX patch for the iMX, which included io-gpumgr but I can't find any 
instructions on what to do with this manager.  It seems to include some new gl libraries also which I am not sure what 
to do with.

Thanks,
Brian 
RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
Hi Brian,
It sounds like you're running gears using the SW version of GLES (just a setup problem).

I assume you have the GPU patch for the iMX53 (http://community.qnx.com/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.graphics/frs.
imx51_gpu_driver.imx53_20101115, patch-650-2413-iMX53GPU.tar).

In 6.5.0, you still need GF, but there's a QNX redirection layer for EGL, GLES & VG (in /usr/lib/), and it needs the 
GRAPHICS_ROOT environment variable to be set to point to the folder where the HW specific Khronos libs are located.  Our
 standard folder location on the iMX53 for those libs would be /usr/lib/graphics/iMX5X/, so you would set:

GRAPHICS_ROOT=/usr/lib/graphics/iMX5X

In this folder, there needs to be the graphics.conf file (found in the GPU patch, already in that location).   The 
redirection layer will then load the appropriate HW specific libs from there when needed.

The io-gpumgr resource manager also relies on GRAPHICS_ROOT being set properly.

So in summary, to setup your system, the proper order would be:

- set GRAPHICS_ROOT
- run io-display
- run io-gpumgr

Then you can run io-winmgr (if needed) and Khronos related applications.

Cheers,
Gaétan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: June-20-11 9:38 PM
To: opengles-graphics
Subject: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x

I am trying to get OpenGL ES 2.0 to run on an iMX51 board.  I can run egl-gears on the board and I can build my own 
OpenGL ES 1.x app as long as I use the gl_ api and use the gf3d target stuff.  However I thought this changed in 6.5 and
 I did not have to use the gf API any longer?  I then tried to build a 2.0 version of egl-gears but it just fails to run
 saying that it can't find a eglConfig.  Are there any sample applications for 2.0 and instructions on how to configure 
GL and build them?  I also downloaded a SGX patch for the iMX, which included io-gpumgr but I can't find any 
instructions on what to do with this manager.  It seems to include some new gl libraries also which I am not sure what 
to do with.

Thanks,
Brian 

OpenGL ES
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post86729
Re: RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
Thanks for the information.  I can now build and run 2.0 apps on my board.  Once thing I have noticed is that the 
performance is not really what I expected.  I can run my application by either using the gf API directly or via OpenGL 
ES 2.0.  I find that I get a better framerate via the gf API which I did not expect.  Also I use about the same CPU.  
The gf API is mainly software rendered I think and I end up using 90% of the CPU for my animations.  When I use GL I use
 56% of the CPU and then io-gpumgr uses 30% so it ends up being the same CPU usage.  

Have you seen this before?  Are there any limitations to the GL implementation?

Thanks,
Brian
Re: RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
Can you help me understand my error.

I'm trying to run io-gpumgr and have followed this message and configured GRAPHICS_ROOT.

However, when I run io-gpumgr I get the following error:
io-gpumgr:  failed to get gpu manager dll from configuration file 0x00000001

I have checked and GRAPHICS_ROOT contains the graphics.conf file.

Thanks,

Stephen
RE: RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
Can you send me the contents of sloginfo?
Can you attach your graphics.conf file?
What is GRAPHICS_ROOT set to exactly?
What is the listing of the directory pointed to by GRAPHICS_ROOT?

As a forward looking bit of info, you'll need libcpp.so.4 in your image
(it's used by GLES).

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Bashford [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Sent: July-05-11 11:25 AM
To: opengles-graphics
Subject: Re: RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x

Can you help me understand my error.

I'm trying to run io-gpumgr and have followed this message and
configured GRAPHICS_ROOT.

However, when I run io-gpumgr I get the following error:
io-gpumgr:  failed to get gpu manager dll from configuration file
0x00000001

I have checked and GRAPHICS_ROOT contains the graphics.conf file.

Thanks,

Stephen

OpenGL ES
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post87074
Re: RE: RE: GLES 2.0 on the iMX5x  
I didn't have libcpp.so.4 in my image so I'm re-testing with this and I will come back with additional info if that 
doesn't help.

Thanks,

Stephen