Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board: (11 Items)

Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board  
Test system specs:
QNX 6.4.0
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L with Intel G31 chipset
Intel Core 2 Quad processor
1 GB ram
Fujitsu MB86297EB01 Carmine PCI evaluation board

Here are the problems I am experiencing:

1)	Photon will not start up with the default configuration for the Carmine board.  The screen resolution changes briefly
 and during that moment I can see the Photon mouse cursor, but then the screen reverts back to the text console which 
becomes unresponsive.  At this point I am still able to interact with the machine over the network via qnet.  I have 
been able to get Photon to start by making some configuration changes.  However, when Photon starts the resolution is 
set to what I have specified for the integrated graphics device but the UI elements are sized for the resolution set for
 the Carmine card.  For example, the monitor is set to 1600x1200 but the UI elements are sized for 640x480 in the top 
left of the screen.  Also, all the UI elements are unresponsive.  These are the configuration changes I made:
	a.	I manually changed the section for the Carmine in /etc/system/enum/devices/graphics so dispconf is not automatically
 run on start up.
	b.	I removed all photon related sections in the Carmine entry in display.conf.

2)	When running QNX 6.4.0 from the console only, the gears demo app from the AGTDK for 6.3.2 locks up when it calls 
eglSwapBuffers().  After this happens I kill the app and verify that it is no longer running on the target.  At this 
point I am unable to kill/slay io-display and if I run the gears demo again it locks up when it calls gf_dev_attach().  
Even though I can’t kill/slay io-display, I am able to start another one, run the gears demo, and again have it lock 
when it calls eglSwapBuffers().  The exact same code when built for 6.3.2 runs fine on a Carmine card in a 6.3.2 machine
Re: Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board  
Also, FYI, I was just able to run the gears demo on the 6.4 system using the integrated video card instead of the 
Carmine.
dealing with the resolution issue, my best guess is your carmine.conf file does not match your display.conf file.  This 
is alluded to vaguely in the documenation for devg-carmine.so:

You can edit the configuration file to enable devg-carmine.so to run on your board. Follow the editing instructions in 
the sample file, /usr/photon/config/carmine.conf, to specify the correct configuration for the required display mode. 
(For a more detailed explanation of the display settings, see the appropriate Fujitsu documentation.) 

and ...

Resolution and refresh support
Display size (pixels): Refresh rate (Hz): Color depth (bits per pixel):  
640x480 60 15, 32  
800x600 60 15, 32  
1024x768 60 15, 32  

Restrictions:

You can use the configuration file to specify other resolutions and refresh rates. 

but it is more clear in the usemsg:

use -i devg-carmine.so

Graphics driver for Fujitsu Carmine Graphics Controller

The file "carmine.conf" can be used to customize hardware-related
settings for the devg-carmine.so graphics driver.

carmine.conf contains comments which describe the various settings
which may be configured.

The path the carmine.conf is specified via the "modeopts" device option
in the io-display configuration file, display.conf.

The X resolution and Y resolution specified via the xres and yres
options to io-graphics must match the 'hdp' and 'vdp' settings in
the carmine.conf file, respectively.

Hopefully this gets you going,
-Derek
For all my tests the resolution settings in carmine.conf have matched those in display.conf.

I have attached the different versions of the configuration files that reproduce the behaviors I have seen.  The *.orig 
files are what QNX generates automatically.  Using those files I see the behavior where the terminal locks up.

When I use the *.changed files I see the mixed resolution issue.  In display.conf.changed I removed the photon sections 
from the device entry for the carmine.  In graphics.changed I commented out the line for the Carmine that calls dispconf
.  This prevents any manual changes I have made in display.conf from being overwritten.  Also, I forgot to mention that 
with this configuration phgrafx starts up before photon starts and I am able to see settings for both display adapters, 
though most settings for the carmine are read only.

In both cases I have tried setting the modeopts value in display.conf to /usr/photon/config/carmine.conf with no change 
in behavior.

Also, by default the bit depth is set to argb1555.  I have also tried argb8888, which works on the 6.3.2 machine, with 
no change in behavior.
Attachment: Compressed file CarmineConfig.zip 7.83 KB
What type of display are you using? (analog, digital)  Is it attached to the onboard graphics controller at boot time 
and then you switch to the Carmine driver?

It sounds like the display is somehow running 1600x1200 - but the Carmine isn't capable of driver this resolution so I'm
 wondering how the display is getting its timing signals.

Did you have the same problems with 6.3.2?  (both display and egl-gears crash)

Thanks
RE: Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board  
OK, excellent.  I was under the impression there was a mismatch,because part of the last post indicated sections being 
removed ... but thanks for clearing that up.  As Michael has indicated, the Carmine cannot drive 1600x1200 ... we will 
follow that thread now.

Regards,
-Derek

Sent: Thu 16/04/2009 2:35 PM
To: advanced-graphics
Subject: Re: Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board

For all my tests the resolution settings in carmine.conf have matched those in display.conf.

I have attached the different versions of the configuration files that reproduce the behaviors I have seen.  The *.orig 
files are what QNX generates automatically.  Using those files I see the behavior where the terminal locks up.

When I use the *.changed files I see the mixed resolution issue.  In display.conf.changed I removed the photon sections 
from the device entry for the carmine.  In graphics.changed I commented out the line for the Carmine that calls dispconf
.  This prevents any manual changes I have made in display.conf from being overwritten.  Also, I forgot to mention that 
with this configuration phgrafx starts up before photon starts and I am able to see settings for both display adapters, 
though most settings for the carmine are read only.

In both cases I have tried setting the modeopts value in display.conf to /usr/photon/config/carmine.conf with no change 
in behavior.

Also, by default the bit depth is set to argb1555.  I have also tried argb8888, which works on the 6.3.2 machine, with 
no change in behavior.

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 4.28 KB
Re: RE: Problems with Fujitsu Carmine eval board  
The carmine is set to 640x480.  The video card integrated on the motherboard is set to 1600x1200.  The issue I see with 
the 1600x1200 screen resolution and photon elements sized to 640x480 is displayed on the integrated video card.  
Currently we have been unable to get anything to display on the carmine in QNX 6.4.

Also, the only time we have ever been able to have anything display on the carmine was on 6.3.2 when it was used as a 
graphics framework render target.  When we started working with the carmine eval board on 6.3.2 we determined that it 
could not function as a primary display adapter (i.e. it won't display the boot-up procedure, a console, or photon but 
it can be used as a render target).  I can't remember exactly how we arrived at that as it's been a while since I worked
 on it.
The onboard controller is also set for 640x480.  I have seen with other Intel systems in the past that the BIOS is setup
 to have the controller believe there's an LCD attached of a specific resolution.   The result of this would be that the
 screen resolution is different then the size the GUI is drawn at.    Are there BIOS options on your system to select 
the display type? (VGA, LVDS, others)'

As you've discovered the Carmine card will not work as a primary card - you don't get textmode when you powerup the 
system because there is no video BIOS on the card.

Just so we're clear - is the egl problem you're seeing happen when trying the Carmine - or the integrated Intel device? 
(or both?)

When trying to start graphics on the Carmine - do you get any signal on the monitor?    I'll have to check to confirm - 
but have you tried the upper connector on the reference card.    

Is there any messages in 'sloginfo' after trying to start the Carmine card?

Thanks
In the config files I posted the primary display was set to 640x480.  This was something I had tried (unsuccessfully) 
just before posting on the forum and forgot to change it back.  The majority of my testing was done with it set to 
1600x1200.  Sorry for the confusion.

The problem with eglSwapBuffers locking up only occurs when trying to use the Carmine.  The gears demo works fine on the
 integrated card.

I have tried both connectors on the Carmine.  When plugged into the bottom one the monitor displays the message "Out of 
Range" when I run the gears demo.  This message is displayed as soon as I call gf_dev_attach().  When plugged into the 
top one, the monitor always reports "No Signal".

I have attached the sloginfo output that is generated by the gears demo in two cases:  1)  when the display.conf file 
has the modeopts entry set to /usr/photon/config/carmine.cfg and 2)  when the modeopts entry is empty.  Both exhibit the
 same behavior:  eglSwapBuffers locks up.

Attachment: Compressed file sloginfo.zip 824 bytes
The sloginfo doesn't indicate any specific errors.    When you had the Carmine working with 6.3.2 was it in the same 
system?   Is there any way for you to go back to 6.3.2 to confirm the successful configuration used to see the Carmine 
working?    This would help to determine if it s config isssue or possible software issue with the 6.4.0.

If you run a non-3D application on the Carmine (vsync) does it run successully?  (display anything, or at least not 
lockup?)

Also, FYI, we have two monitors attached to the system.  One to the integrated video board and one to the bottom DVI 
plug on the carmine eval board.  This one is connected using a DB15 to DVI converter since the eval board won't output a
 digital signal.