Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Simple interface: (3 Items)

Simple interface  
Hello,

I'm totally new to Qnx.
I'm trying in order to start, to develop a simple test application...let's stay modest at the beginning ! I want to 
implement a simple User Interface

So for example, just a simple window with one button...you press it, it for example adds one to a counter or whatever 
operation and displays something back in the window ...label or I don't know...

What should I use to do this ? Photon ? (it seems to be heavy for a simple purpose non ?) Flash (I could not find any 
example of such a simple app) ?

Thanks for any of your advice, and sorry if I seems to be such a newbie :)

Paul
Re: Simple interface  
Hi,

You have a few options, as you mention.  

Photon is one, it is a traditional GUI with widgets (buttons, sliders, etc).  You can use the Photon Application Builder
 in order to create an interface as you mentioned in the post.

Flash would be another option, I can't really comment on examples or how you would create what you describe.

Using the GF library is another option.  It is a raw graphics library which you can render 2D content (or integrate 
OpenGL ES also).  There are no GUI constructs so you end up coding things yourself, you have to create a button for 
example.
http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.0/gf/dev_guide/gf-base.html

You could also use Crank's Storyboard.  This is a Eclipse based user interface development tool and runtime.  The tool 
can run on your host (windows/linux) and then simulate/test your design.  Then you can run the same application on the 
QNX target system with no changes.  You should quickly be able to build an interface as you describe.
http://www.cranksoftware.com/products/crank_storyboard_suite.php

Cheers,
Brian
Re: Simple interface  
Hi,

Thanks for your answer Brian.

I will check on Photon, because if we should add the price of licensing to Aviage in order to test Flash, I don't think 
it will be ok.

I'll try to develop a quick test and come back if I need any help,

Cheers,

Paul