Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - ifs with ftp cabapility?: (10 Items)

ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Hi all,

I have got an intel atom processor card and I am booting it by using an SSD. I created an ifs image and booted the card 
with it. However after boot I could not write/modify the etc, usr, bin, lib files on target. I think that is because of 
the image's read only property. But I need some services which will use those files dynamically. 

For example I need ftp service and as far as I know to use ftp a user should have a password. However to change the 
password, passwd utility using/modfiying the files under /etc. How can I manage to make those files writable? Where am I
 doing wrong? If someone help me I ll appretiate.

Thanks and regards
RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Try passing  -osync=optional to devb-*

-----Message d'origine-----
De : enes aykurt [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:58 PM
À : general-filesystems
Objet : ifs with ftp cabapility?

Hi all,

I have got an intel atom processor card and I am booting it by using an SSD. I created an ifs image and booted the card 
with it. However after boot I could not write/modify the etc, usr, bin, lib files on target. I think that is because of 
the image's read only property. But I need some services which will use those files dynamically. 

For example I need ftp service and as far as I know to use ftp a user should have a password. However to change the 
password, passwd utility using/modfiying the files under /etc. How can I manage to make those files writable? Where am I
 doing wrong? If someone help me I ll appretiate.

Thanks and regards

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98528
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-filesystems-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
can you please send me the documentation about that ?
RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
That will not help as you are not using a devb driver.  

You need to include all of the files necessary in the ifs including /etc/passwd

Here is a link from the Support Knowledge Base that shows a build image with the necessary files that allows you to 
telnet into it:
http://www.qnx.com/support/knowledgebase.html?id=50130000000SzKu

Chris

-----Original Message-----
Sent: January-13-13 9:40 AM
To: general-filesystems
Subject: Re: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?

can you please send me the documentation about that ?

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98534
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-filesystems-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Hi Chris,

I have already done the telnet, my problem is about ftp. For ftp as you know I need also the shadow file because ftp 
user must have a password. However I could not figure out how to form and locate an encrypted file in ifs.I tried to 
form a shadow file by using a QNX disk system and used it on my ifs however that didnt work.

Tomorrow I will try the devb driver modification that you have suggested. Can you please explain me the affect of this 
option ?

regards
A few options.  Once you telnet into the target you can run ftp "from" the target to get the file to the target(in/dev/
shmem), or if you really need to ftp into the target then you can put writable files into /dev/shmem ; just create a 
link in the build file from /etc/shadow to /dev/shmem/shadow. You could also use devf-ram to create a ram filesystem...
that you could write to.

Devb suggestion wasn't mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:57 PM
Reply To: general-filesystems@community.qnx.com
Subject: Re: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?

Hi Chris,

I have already done the telnet, my problem is about ftp. For ftp as you know I need also the shadow file because ftp 
user must have a password. However I could not figure out how to form and locate an encrypted file in ifs.I tried to 
form a shadow file by using a QNX disk system and used it on my ifs however that didnt work.

Tomorrow I will try the devb driver modification that you have suggested. Can you please explain me the affect of this 
option ?

regards

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98536
Attachment: HTML sf-attachment-mime8935 3.4 KB
To use FTP, you will need a file:
/etc/ftpusers
If this file is absent, all ftp accesses will be denied.

In order to write in /etc (and in a few other directories), you need to remount the filesystem as writable.
To do that:

mount -uw /base
... now the system is writable
... do your stuff
... and restore it to read-only when you are done
mount -ur /base

Note that you cannot overwrite or modify a file. To do such a thing, you will need to rename or delete the original, 
then create the "modified" version.
RE: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Good call on the /etc/ftpusers, I had forgotten about that file.  Also, ignore the mount instructions that is for a 
device with a writable filesystem mounted as /base ;-)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: January-14-13 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?

To use FTP, you will need a file:
/etc/ftpusers
If this file is absent, all ftp accesses will be denied.

In order to write in /etc (and in a few other directories), you need to remount the filesystem as writable.
To do that:

mount -uw /base
... now the system is writable
... do your stuff
... and restore it to read-only when you are done mount -ur /base

Note that you cannot overwrite or modify a file. To do such a thing, you will need to rename or delete the original, 
then create the "modified" version.

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post98546
Re: RE: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Thanks guys. I thought that file just only for restriction and ignored it.  I will try it tomorrow and inform you.

Regards.
Re: RE: RE: RE: ifs with ftp cabapility?  
Adding that file solved my problem. Of course I added a shadow file for password which was created in a writable file 
system. Thanks for your help.

Regards