Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - InitialPrototype build issues (newbie): (4 Items)

InitialPrototype build issues (newbie)  
First off I just wanted to say Hi to the people working on DTrace.. My friends and I going to be using it as a basis for
 our fourth year design project in university.

That said, I'm fairly new to *nix in general, especially so with building parts of an OS, so please don't be too harsh 
when I ask silly questions :P

I've literally been trying to get DTrace for 12 hours.. Finally I got it downloaded (I know that sounds terrible... I 
tried using 6.2.1 and 6.3 but neither came SVN installed, and tried downloading and building a copy of that, to no 
avail) so now I'm on 6.4, trying to make DTrace on self-hosted Neutrino, x86.
BTW I'm using Microsoft VirtualPC to run my QNX box.

Oh, and I got the source from the SVN checkout /svn/repos/dtrace_pub
That is InitialPrototype, correct? Or have I been screwing with the old dtrace source... If so, please point me to the 
correct checkout

My dtrace source is in /root/dtrace_pub, which is where I happened to be when I called svn checkout

I set up the staging directory as specified:

1. Made the 'stage' directory (/root/dtrace_pub/stage)

2. Created the qconf-override.mk file, but since I'm using 6.4 I set the VERSION_REL to 6.4.0 instead of 6.3.0
Not sure if that's the right thing to do...

3. set the QCONF_OVERRIDE environment variable to the .mk file in 2.
- Question about the environment variables...
Sometimes my box crashes (probably due to being a virtual machine) and when I restart, the environment variables are 
reset to their defaults, so I have to re-set the QCONF_OVERRIDE. Why are these not being saved correctly?

4. I tried to run make in /trunk but as was mentioned in another post on this forum, we shouldn't be making the trunk of
 DTrace.. Besides there is no 'Makefile' there, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.
 So, what folder should we be calling make inside? (read on for my attempt)

I've tried to make inside dtrace_pub/trunk/lib/dtrace 
make CPULIST=x86 hinstall
results:

make -j 1 -Cx86 -fMakefile hinstall
make[1]: Entering directory 'root/dtrace_pub/trunk/lib/x86'
make -j 1 -Ca -fMakefile hinstall
make[2] Entering directory 'root/dtrace_pub/trunk/lib/x86/a'
make[2] Nothing to be done for 'hinstall'.
make[2] Leaving directory 'root/dtrace_pub/trunk/lib/x86/a'
make[1] Leaving directory 'root/dtrace_pub/trunk/lib/x86'

and then make CPULIST=x86 install

at which point the results are very similar, except when hinstall says nothing to be done, install does this:
/bin/cp -vfpc libdtrace.a /usr/qnx640/target/qnx6/x86/lib/libdtrace.a
cp: Copying libdtrace.a to /usr/qnx640/target/qnx6/x86/lib/libdtrace.a

Then when I go into my staging directory, obviously all I find is /root/dtrace_pub/stage/x86/lib/libdtrace.a

So there are several places I could be going wrong here... hoping for some tips to get me started. 
I've been reading documents in the community, like "Understanding the Neutrino Build Process" and "Build It -- 
Downloading the Neutrino OS/Kernel Source" to no avail..

All they bring up is more questions.. Like when I examine the Makefiles in the /trunk/lib/dtrace and /trunk/lib/dtrace/
x86 directories, they reference recurse.mk. According to "U t N B P" (at the bottom), the 'magic' files should be:
$QNX_TARGET/usr/include/recurse.mk 
$QNX_TARGET/usr/include/qconfig.mk 
$QNX_TARGET/usr/include/buildlist.mk 
With support of the $QNX_TARGET/usr/include/mk 

But these directories and files do not exist in the DTrace source.. 
Am I not looking correctly, or do I need to get these from somewhere else?

Please help me out. Your responses are *greatly* appreciated.
Thanks!

William Gibson

Re: InitialPrototype build issues (newbie)  
Bump
Hey William.
What you are seeing when you build right now is the dtrace module to be included in the IFS; This was the *original* way
 of including DTrace in neutrino, but Colin now has it running in a rousource manager instead. The reason you're get 
this is because you aren't compiling the source code from the correct location; the InitialPrototype page instructs you 
to get the source from <SVN_ROOT>/dtrace_pub/branches/old_dev_dtrace

Currently the dtrace_pub trunk is missing things, and the ctf_utils_dev is horribly broken (I really should get around 
to fixing that). Good luck with your project. Write back to let us know how you fare.

-Aaron Cripps

Thanks for helping out, Aaron.  I'm sorry missed your questions, William, I've been ever so flat out with 6.4.1

I'll try to keep more on top of any questions that come in, so please do keep posting.

Colin

Aaron Cripps wrote:
> Hey William.
> What you are seeing when you build right now is the dtrace module to be included in the IFS; This was the *original* 
way of including DTrace in neutrino, but Colin now has it running in a rousource manager instead. The reason you're get 
this is because you aren't compiling the source code from the correct location; the InitialPrototype page instructs you 
to get the source from <SVN_ROOT>/dtrace_pub/branches/old_dev_dtrace
> 
> Currently the dtrace_pub trunk is missing things, and the ctf_utils_dev is horribly broken (I really should get around
 to fixing that). Good luck with your project. Write back to let us know how you fare.
> 
> -Aaron Cripps
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post28268
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com