Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Pulse size: (9 Items)

Pulse size  
Silly question, but has anyone considered increasing the size of pulses to 16 bytes?  We currently use pulses in several
 applications to pass IP addresses, and having larger pulese would sure make it easier to migrate to IPv6.

Thanks,
lew
Re: Pulse size  
So.... any feedback?
Sorry for the lack of response.

At this time we have no plans to increase the size of pulses, but your
use-case has been noted.

Cheers,

Colin

Lewis Donzis wrote:
> So.... any feedback?
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post40728
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
As long as you're noting the use case, because of security features of IPv6, it would be handy to be able to send both 
an IPv6 address and a mask, for a total of 32 bytes.  Perhaps making it a runtime option?  Then those who want the 
feature and are willing to use up the memory get what they want and folks who want to conserve memory and don't need the
 feature can run the old way.  Everyone wins.
So how do currently work with IPv4? You can't send both address and mask in a single pulse now, but still you survived, 
did not you?
IPv4 addresses are distinct, so you don't need a mask.  With IPv6, about the smallest address ever assigned is /64, and 
there are security features that rotate among random addresses, so a single client will appear on the network, over time
, as millions of different addresses.
Pay attention to asyncmsg_...() series of functions.
Unless I'm mistaken, the async messages are simply a library wrapper around conventional messages, i.e., the kernel has 
no knowledge of them.
No. Async msgs have an implemenation in the kernel. See /ker/nano_asyncmsg.c

Lewis Donzis wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, the async messages are simply a library wrapper around conventional messages, i.e., the kernel 
has no knowledge of them.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post43776
>